Intellisense in Python IDLE

01-19-2011 02:56 PM
SanthoshBalakrishnapillai
New Contributor
Intellisense in available in Python IDLE 2.5 or not.How can I get that.If it is not available in Python IDLE how can I get Python win for arcgis 10.  Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II
IDLE doesn't really have intellisense.  If you start creating a Python script and only use the line:
import arcpy

Now if you run your code from IDE, you will be able to get some intellisense regarding arcpy, for instance:
mxd = arcpy.
I will then get info about which methods are available (but it is slow).  However, if I finish my code to refer to a map document and then want to use the reference to the map document it will not provide the available methods regarding the map document.  But, if I run the code again after referencing a map document I can then get "intellisense" for the mxd variable.

Obviously, this will not be acceptable.  There are other IDE's out there such as PythonWin, Wing and PyScripter to name a few.  PythonWin is not installed by default, see this thread about the location of the installers for it.  You can download PyScripter from here.

I hope this helps.
Cory
0 Kudos
BartHound
New Contributor
don't forget about pyDev, and Netbeans.
0 Kudos
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III
I agree. Just get an actual IDE. IDLE is nice to start out with but if you plan to get into this a bit more you should get something like pyDev
0 Kudos