Keep Python as the scripting language in Field Calculator

12-01-2014 11:59 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm finally dragging myself kicking and screaming into Python after using VB for a number of years to calculate field values.  It's really frustrating to have a script run fine on one or two selected records, only to have it immediately bomb out on the entire table of records: especially when the only problem is the calculator has reverted back to VB automagically.

Is there a way to keep Python as the scripting language default or, how do I keep it from reverting back to VB?    (Using version 10.0 desktop)

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Not as far as I know. It should retain python within a session, but not as a general setting. It would seem like a  no-brainer since ESRI's embraced python and VBScript is no longer supported, but there you have it. Maybe at 10.3 or 11, whenever they come out.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It should retain python within a session,

That's what I figured, but for whatever reason, the script stays intact, but the radio button goes back to VB: it craps out in a hurry...

0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Well, I'm on 10.2.2, maybe that particular bug has been taken care of, if I understand correctly. I've been caught by it myself before.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The interactive right click field / calculate  method is the "old" way to do it and the interface is used to call the Calculate Field tool - after that first run you can recall it from the Results window where it will be "stuck" for you with the parameters you want.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Seems like a number of extra clicks just to get back to the old style right click on the field. But if that works for you, it's cool with me...

0 Kudos
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III

https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=08730000000brslAAA

I posted this to the esri idea submission site in 2011, so go vote for it!

0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I don't think that's the link you want. Goes to SalesForce.

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kevin,

I believe this is the link that you want:

ArcGIS Idea - Field Calculator default to Python