Manipulating a layout using python and arcpy

01-31-2011 11:50 AM
karlkliparchuk
New Contributor
If you open the attribute table for a feature class or a shapefile and you want to display this table in a layout, can you let me know what arcpy command(s) I need to issue?  I cannot find an example in the ArcGIS Help.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
karlkliparchuk
New Contributor
MY UPDATE TO THIS QUESTION.

I found out from ESRI that arcpy currently does not have that capability.

I think I have a work around, but I am unsure of what arcpy command to use.  Maybe one of your VB people would know, or if there are any trailblazing python programmers out there.

If I make a default table and place it in the layout, I can then find it using ListLayoutElements.  When I find it, is there a way to change the layer that is attached to that GRAPHIC_ELEMENT? For example my template can be using junk.dbf.  I find this GRAPHIC_ELEMENT, then I use some arcpy command that let's me change that GRAPHIC_ELEMENT from junk.dbf to myRealFile.dbf.  I am hunting for the arcpy command to do this. 

Any codehints? If I make a default table and place it in the layout, I can then find it using ListLayoutElements.  When I find it, is there a way to change the layer that is attached to that GRAPHIC_ELEMENT? For example my template can be using junk.dbf.  I find this GRAPHIC_ELEMENT, then I use some arcpy command that let's me change that GRAPHIC_ELEMENT from junk.dbf to myRealFile.dbf. 

I am hunting for the arcpy command to do this.  Let me know.  Thanks.
0 Kudos