Problems with GLOBALIDs, GUIDs, and the Create Relationship Class GP Tool

05-25-2012 03:54 PM
NathanHeick
Occasional Contributor II
I am trying to create relationship classes using the geoprocessing tool Create Relationship Class in Python and in ArcCatalog.  I am using an origin primary key that is a GLOBALID and an origin foreign key that is GUID.  The error I receive in Python is:

Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000800: The value is not a member of GLOBALID.
Failed to execute (CreateRelationshipClass).

In ArcCatalog, when accessing the GP tool from ArcToolbox, once I select the origina primary key as a GLOBALID, it will only let me choose from the GLOBALID in the destination table as valid foreign keys.

To me, it seems like the GP tool is too restrictive and only lets you make relationship classes between GLOBALIDs and GLOBALIDs, not GLOBALIDs and GUIDs.

If I choose New -> Relationship Class in ArcCatalog, it allows me to choose from the GLOBALID field and the GUID field in the destination table.  It allows relationships between GLOBALIDs and GUIDs.

Does anyone have a workaround for this or an explanation?  I have to drop and recreate 180 relationship classes in an automated fashion and I would prefer to use Python.
Tags (2)
33 Replies
CallumSmith
New Contributor III

The problem still persists in 10.4.1 but Fredric's workaround above works for me! Cheers

PhilipMarley
New Contributor

Looks like the bug is fixed in ArcPro.  I got the same error in Desktop, ran in Pro and it worked!

deleted-user-RvrkOqzR6NTy
New Contributor II

I can confirm as Philip says that it is indeed fixed in ArcGIS Pro Desktop

0 Kudos
NeilEtheridge
New Contributor III
0 Kudos