Query Builder, Select 100 to 200 records, populate, and save during Edit Session

03-17-2015 09:37 AM
JamesFitzgerald
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

Is there a way through Python or VBA code to select 100 to 200 records, populate new field,  and save during edit session?

I am working in a SDE. When I try to populate 2500 records, it crashes. No error message. I have about 3 GIS techs doing edits when I am trying to populate my records. Not sure if that will impact my session.

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you using versions? What is your method/criteria for selecting the records?

0 Kudos
JamesFitzgerald

Hello,

I am using arcMap 10.1. I right click on the field I want to update, select field calculator, I select in the list box which attribute column header I want to use to populate the field. Once I click okay. It takes a few seconds, then crashes.

---No error

----I have about 5 editing when I am editing-Could this be the problem?

---Also If I select 100-200 records, then it populates. This has worked before, but now I have thousands of records to update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are editing the same record on the same version as someone else, there is conflicting data. I don't know why ArcMap would just crash, but I can see that there is potentially a problem here. Can you try doing this without anyone else editing or create a new version to do your edits in?

I've used calculate field in ArcMap on thousands of records without issue; it just took a bit to process.

JamesFitzgerald

I will try it after everyone leaves for the day. Thanks

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

So is everyone editing on the same version? You can test it now by just creating a new version.

0 Kudos
JamesFitzgerald

Hello,

It is the same version. Tried a new version but still crashed and difficult to update thousands of records. I had wait until all GIS techs left for the day. Eventually worked by updating about 100 records at a time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad you got it working. Is there a database trigger set up on any of the tables? That could slow down the processing with lots of activity.

You could also try scripting your process with Python (like you originally mentioned) using Calculate Field. Python might be able to power through because there is no UI (ArcMap) involved. Still might have to wait for everyone to stop editing the version though. May also be worth investigating using different versions for everyone; that's what they're there for.