SelectLayerByAttribute_management issue, need help

Jump to solution
01-27-2016 03:47 PM
JohnRitsko
New Contributor III

Trying to work my way through a PGDB and update the field PROJECT_STATUS depending on data in other fields.  My problem seems to be in the query portion of theelectLayerByAttribute.  I've tried to many iterations of this.  Eventually I wanted to update this data directly in SDE on our SQL Server but I think I can figure that out once I get this.  Thank you..

BELOW IS A WORKING SCRIPT.  Thank you all.

#### updated script
# Import arcpy module
import arcpy, time, sys
from arcpy import env

env.overwriteOutput = True
env.workspace = "Database Connections//GISSDE.RTC.sde"
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management("RTC.GISSDE.MPO_CMWG_L_TEST","cmwg_lyr")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"\"", "VB", "")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_DESIGN_START] = 1")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"DESIGN\"", "VB", "")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_NTP] = 1")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"CONSTRUCTION\"", "VB", "")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_SUBSTANTIAL_COMPLETION] <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION\"", "VB", "")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "RTC_PROJECT_CLOSED <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"CLOSED\"", "VB", "")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[PROJECT_STATUS] IS NULL OR [PROJECT_STATUS] = ''")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"PLANNED\"", "VB", "")
0 Kudos
25 Replies
JohnRitsko
New Contributor III
import arcpy
from arcpy import env
env.overwriteOutput = True
env.workspace = r"C://test//CMWGp.mdb"
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management("C://test//CMWGp.mdb//CMWG_L_TEST","cmwg_lyr")
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_DESIGN_START] ='1'")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"DESIGN\"", "VB", "")

Here is what I tried and no luck.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Users\ritskoj\Desktop\cmwgUpdates.py", line 19, in <module>

arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_DESIGN_START] ='1'")

File "C:\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 6688, in SelectLayerByAttribute

raise e

ExecuteError: ERROR 000358: Invalid expression

Failed to execute (SelectLayerByAttribute).

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

What is the field type for [ACTUAL_DESIGN_START?

JohnRitsko
New Contributor III

Short Integer

The others are Date and Text.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Remove the quotes around number values.

JohnRitsko
New Contributor III

You sir have fixed my issue.  Thank you.  Both you and Wes Miller have been very helpful.

Now I do have one other questions.  How do I deal with a date fields?

0 Kudos
MichelleTotman
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

Have you considered using if/elif/else statements in the CalculateField_management code block instead of the SelectLayerByAttribute_management function?

Here is an example:

arcpy.CalculateField_management(layer, "Project_STATUS", expression="update(!ACTUAL_DESIGN_START!, !ACTUAL_NTP!)", "PYTHON", """def update(design, NTP):

if design == 1:

return "Design"

elif NTP == 1:

return "Construction"

else:

pass

""")

JohnRitsko
New Contributor III

Michelle,

Yeah, I wanted to deal with this in and if elif situation but couldn't get my expressions working right.  Now that I've got things rolling and once I figure out how to query a date I'll be set.

On that note, if you know how to ask for the current date and check against that I would be very grateful.

Thank you all for the help.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Within python scripts it really makes more sense to use an update cursor instead of the Calculate Value tool with a code block.

fields = ["Project_status", "ACTUAL_DESIGN_START", "ACTUAL_NTP"]
with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(layer, fields) as rows:
  for row in rows:
      if row[1] == 1:
          row[0] = "Design"
      elif row[2] == 1:
          row[0] = "Constructions"
      rows.updateRow(row)
MichelleTotman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Curtis! I'll have to give that a try next time.

0 Kudos
JohnRitsko
New Contributor III

Things are progressing well.  The main answer to my question has been answered but I'm having issues with this last bit in regards to the date.  I can't seem to query against the data, Invalid Expression.  Any thoughts?

arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("cmwg_lyr", "NEW_SELECTION", "[ACTUAL_SUBSTANTIAL_COMPLETION] <= CURRENT_DATE")
arcpy.CalculateField_management("cmwg_lyr", "PROJECT_STATUS", "\"SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION\"", "VB", "")

0 Kudos