Survey Question for all Python Programmers. Please I need feedback from you all!!

06-25-2013 12:59 PM
MichelleCouden1
Occasional Contributor III
OK, so I'm new at writing scripts. I take alot of pride in my work when I finish the script. So recently, one of my coworkers took one of my scripts and rewrote it to fit his needs. Should I be happy about this?????? I'm not used to people taking my work. Is that what we do with our scripts? Share them I guess??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DavidAllen
Occasional Contributor
OK, so I'm new at writing scripts. I take alot of pride in my work when I finish the script. So recently, one of my coworkers took one of my scripts and rewrote it to fit his needs. Should I be happy about this?????? I'm not used to people taking my work. Is that what we do with our scripts? Share them I guess??

I generously share my code with anyone who wants it. And when I borrow code, I typically keep the "Author:" line at the top as the original author and add an "Amended by:" name and date, and depending on the severity of the change, a note on what changes were made.

People should be polite and respectful when they borrow your code, and you can request attribution. But I don't think it's a requirement.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I do as well, particularly Python code.  If you don't want it used by others, then make sure you include a distribution license agreement.  Alternately, you can embed code within a toolbox which those people over the age of 16 unable to unlock your code 🙂
😄
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
I have no problem sharing my code.  besides, anyone I work with would need to come back to me to modify it for them anyway  :cool:

R_
0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor
I have no issue sharing -- it's not entirely my code to begin with.  My thought is that I am not really writting orginal, although I start from scratch, libraries so much as I am mostly re-organizing and invoking/implementing things that have already been developed into a logical configuration that solves my (or my user's) particular needs. 

Take a "new" COM toolbar that I may build from scratch and delpoy it as an Extension: Really, I am just invoking all of the ArcObjects that make up ArcGIS --- I have not rebuilt a new ArcGIS, I am simply re-organizing things that solve a particular need that the default version of the software may not do well or efficient for a particular user or set of users.  Same with Python libraries and Geoprocessor objects I may develop.
0 Kudos
MichelleCouden1
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks Guys!! I'm a very sharing person. And I feel my coworkers should know what I know. I think it was just the way he did it. After I got home, I started to feel glad he did use it. Because he won't learn just like I wouldn't learn if I didn't try.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
They say the biggest compliment a programmer can have is for someone to steal your code...

But that said, if I significantly borrow from someone elses code, I typically have a blurb in my header that indicates that.

However, if your coworker took all the credit and made it appear that he/she did all the work without putting your name in there... well that would make anyone mad!
0 Kudos
ThomasLaxson
New Contributor III
If it's a coworker, then you should be happy that your company/organization can now run a little bit more efficiently due to the code that you wrote. Just make sure that your superiors know who wrote the code when your next performance review rolls around.
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Open source software like Python is designed to be developed by a collaborative effort, with sharing of libraries. No programmer will redevelop code that exists if it can be avoided,  but, as everyone else has indicated, proper credit should always be given. Simply look through the forums to see people sharing everything from snippets to complex algorithms and modules. Be satisfied that you have created something others appreciate and can use, but call anyone out who does not credit your portion of the work.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
ChristinaKellum
New Contributor III
They say the biggest compliment a programmer can have is for someone to steal your code...

But that said, if I significantly borrow from someone elses code, I typically have a blurb in my header that indicates that.

However, if your coworker took all the credit and made it appear that he/she did all the work without putting your name in there... well that would make anyone mad!

I wouldn't be where I am now if I didn't borrow code from you! I've learned a ton from you.  Thank you!
0 Kudos