how to create multiple polygon features from a set of cornerpoints

12-09-2016 10:01 AM
GUNASEKARANJOSEPH_IRWIN
New Contributor

I have a point shape file which contains corner points of buildings or houses. How can I create house foot prints for all the corner points in the layer at once. If I use minimum bounding rectangle, it created one big polygon around all the points, I want to have separate minimum bounding rectangle for each set of points in the point layer..!!. I hope you all understood the issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Do the points have an attribute that ties together the points of a specific building? For example, all corners of first building have value 1, points from second building have value 2, etc.

GUNASEKARANJOSEPH_IRWIN
New Contributor

Hi Darren,

No these point does not contain any attributes,They are just points with xyz.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Unless the buildings are obviously spread out (i.e. distinct clusters of points), there may not be a way to automatically connect the dots.

You could try running Points to Line which may connect most of the points if they are stored in order. If they do turn out to be in order, and each building has exactly 4 corners, you may be able to script the rectangles in Python (although there is some question whether the points are guaranteed to be read in order).

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

So how do you know the corners for each build?

0 Kudos
GUNASEKARANJOSEPH_IRWIN
New Contributor

extracted from lidar

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Since you have the lidar, I wonder if there if anything in this blog that might help

https://community.esri.com/people/GTaylor-esristaff/blog/2016/06/24/3d-workshop-feature-extraction-t...   I think this is written for Pro.

Or this arcgis desktop - Building extraction with LiDAR data (Improve Process) - Geographic Information Syst... 

If not, Darren's suggestions might be the best semi automated process. (Points to lines...Gen cleaning up by editing)  or, again, if the points are in order....points for each building in groups, you could add a field and give a unique value for each building, then loop thru the groups to make the buildings, either with points to lines or points to polygon.

Do a web search on extracting building footprints and there are many threads on this topic (although most are aerial photos or older tech, not lidar)