Create LRS Event GP Tool crashing in Pro 3.2

Jump to solution
a month ago
Labels (3)
KevinHunt
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if there are any known issues with the "Create LRS Event" GP tool in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.    I've been trying to use it this week and ArcGIS Pro is crashing every time I attempt to run it.   The first time I tried it, I believe I was able to set all the variables and hit "Run" before it crashed.  Every time I've tried it since then, ArcGIS Pro crashes while I'm setting up the tool.   I thought I would check here before I put in a Tech Support case.   I believe I am running ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and have not yet installed either of the patches I noticed. 

Thanks!   Kevin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin,

There aren't any known issues with this tool at 3.2 or earlier versions around crashing when running the tool.  I'd recommend opening up a support case to dig in further.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin,

There aren't any known issues with this tool at 3.2 or earlier versions around crashing when running the tool.  I'd recommend opening up a support case to dig in further.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
KevinHunt
New Contributor III

Thank you Nathan.  Will do. 

0 Kudos
KevinHunt
New Contributor III

The behavior we found was quickly reproduced by Tech Support and the result of the support case is BUG-000166871.    Not everyone has run into this issue with the these GP tools so I suspect there is something different about the file geodatabase that I was using that is causing the issue. 

0 Kudos
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Kevin - This post piqued my interest because I've been working with customer data in Pro for years and have never seen this issue arise. I reached out to Tech Support and the Product Manager to see if they would share the data you submitted to us with me. After reviewing your FGDB and the case notes there are a few observations I would like to share with you along with a workaround:

1) It seems rather than modifying/upgrading your existing Roads and Highways Armap-based LRS GDB you instead created a new LRS and new LRS network possibly using a mix of ArcMap-based feature classes with our Create New [LRS] and [LRS Network] GP tools (mixing and matching objects). This step is not necessary for migrating to ArcGIS Pro (and in your case could even cause errors). In any event since it seems you are simply testing the tools there are some things you need to be aware of. When you run Create LRS the minimum schema Route Id fields (CLS and Calibration_Point) will be set to text(255) - this will come into play later. I also noted that your M tolerance in the network feature class you have is 0.0000001 Mile (US Survey) based on an XY tolerance 0.001 meters.. Can you elaborate on your process for creating the network feature class and registering it with the LRS as this tolerance wouldn't work with our Create LRS Network from Existing Dataset GP.

2) The LRSN_Milepoint network you configured is set to Autogenerated Route Id but the field length is set to text(9). This is not in alignment with CLS/CP Route Ids.

Armed with that information I made the following changes to the FGDB you submitted and did not run into any errors when registering the Ev_RIS_AccControl event:

1) Change the LRSN_Milepoint Route_Id field to text(255)
2) Run Modify LRS Network - Change the network configuration to Single-field Route Id
3) Run Create LRS Event from Existing Dataset - Success

I can appreciate that our tools should not be crashing ArcGIS Pro but instead providing a warning/stop that you have a misconfigured LRS. The Product Team should look into that. I am curious as to whether you have tried to run Modify LRS to upgrade your ArcMap LRS. You could take a cut (default version) of your current ArcMap GDB and copy it to an FGDB and run the Modify LRS to evaluate the upgrade to Pro.

Amit
Esri Transportation LRS Team

KevinHunt
New Contributor III

Hello Amit -  Thank you very much for your investigation and workarounds. 

1.  Yes, after seeing the March RHUG presentation from Ohio DOT, I was attracted to the approach that Ethan Pointer used to assemble the LRS network from scratch and use the process to make “clean up” updates to the attribute tables and properties of the LRS feature classes.  I also wanted to change the M tolerance (and corresponding resolution) in the ArcGIS Pro geodatabase from the R&H default to 0.0000001 Mile (US Survey).   My thought was that as that as long at the M tolerance is set smaller than the default tolerance, it should be compatible with the rest of the LRS.   Perhaps that is not the case.  I understand that this reconfigured measure resolution should not have any impact inside the Roads and Highways ALRS which is controlled by the Measure Precision setting, but we believe the default measure tolerance is causing rounding discrepancies in the 7th decimal place in our downstream data mart which is not controlled by the ALRS measure precision functionality.

I am coming to the conclusion that I need to change my approach to migrating the geodatabase.  We have done some work with Clive recently on our migration so we will continue to look at this.  Based on your work around, it sounds like my measure tolerance should be OK if we straighten out some other things but I would like to confirm that. 

2.  “The LRSN_Milepoint network you configured is set to Autogenerated Route Id”.   Good catch…this was not intended.   Originally I was trying to use the “Create LRS Network from Existing Dataset” GP tool and had the Route ID Field Config set to “Single-Field Route ID”.   An error from that tool related to an undefined M unit of measure had me resort to the “Create LRS Network” GP tool instead and that tool appears to have assigned “Autogenerated Route Id”.     Good to know there is a “Modify LRS Network” tool that can change this.

Your post has me realizing how I could be tripping things up by using a combination of tools to establish the new LRS Feature Dataset in Pro.  I have not yet tried to run “Modify LRS” because I have been focused on getting everything from the ArcMap ALRS into the file geodatabase first.  As you and Clive have suggested, I will try the migration from the ArcMap ALRS next…once I make the attribute table and property changes.   I’m learning a lot along the way.