Errors in Google, Bing, Esri, etc Basemaps

06-19-2019 06:07 AM
ErinLesh1
New Contributor III

I'm looking to hear thoughts and experiences regarding updates to incorrect data in popular basemaps like Google, Bing, Esri, etc.  Has anyone had success getting a company to update incorrect data in a timely manner?  Should government agencies create competing products that are based on authoritative data? 

Transportation

Tags (4)
26 Replies
AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

This is pretty much what I'm imagining! Like you said, it would be a fun project. I also think it could be very useful. Many of our updates are currently based on out-of-date orthoimagery. This is getting better as we mature, but the more data sources the better...

ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

I know TensorFlow has been used for some imagery classification work but unsure if it's the best for road network extraction. Have seen examples of road network extraction before but wonder if any of the API's would allow for such a workflow to run because often those basemap services don't allow much in the way of advanced processes. Having to do some sort of image capture and then ortho the images yourself first would be tedious and probably more cumbersome than other manual options. Sorry got the gears going now and already thinking out the options and paths to try and undertake this.

AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

Feature extraction from imagery would be awesome... I've kind of resigned myself to that being a pipe-dream at this point. But hey, someone is bound to figure it out.

While at GIS-T, I saw a quick presentation about SharedStreets. Their software is capable of generating a unique ID per roadway segment that will be consistent across datasets. Here's the basic concept:

They also offer OpenStreetMap data via their API, which apparently has already been assigned the SharedStreets IDs. I'm wondering if this could be leveraged to create a report of potential update locations on the LRS.

If you were to split your LRS network at each intersection and generate SharedStreets IDs, you could create something like a centerline sequence table that tracks which SharedStreets IDs belongs to which RouteId. I'm not super familiar with it, but I think OSM data has the last edit date for each segment associated with it. You could relatively easily query for all of the OSM updates within the last month, query the SharedStreets sequence table for the related RouteIds (and m-values if you'd like), then generate a simple PNG of the LRS overlaid on OSM to easily see what's changed.

There's still a lot of thinks and maybes in there, but if we could make something like this work, it would be awesome.

ScottFierro2

Naw, mo pipedream it's happening and coming. I can say back in 2011 we worked with a defense contractor called SAIC and had already been doing automated feature extraction then and were busy trying to resolve issues like dividing individual dwellings from clusters of mud huts and lean-to's. Recent ESRI article actually hits on a road network example.

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcwatch/where-deep-learning-meets-gis/?adumkts=branding&aduc=em...

The SharedStreet's ID is interesting and almost mirrors concepts being used to address long-standing headaches with identity management in enterprise systems.

AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III
ShaneMatthews

There are a variety of ways to share local geographic knowledge and make corrections to Esri Basemaps! Map users can comment and suggest improvements through our Basemap and Geocoding Feedback Group. This group contains maps that can be used to provide feedback on issues with Esri hosted basemaps and geocoding available through ArcGIS Online. Simply draw a box around something, and tell us what is wrong inside the box. Organizations can contribute its local, authoritative content through the Community Maps Program, which is a part of the ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World. Requires an ArcGIS Online Organizational Account. Lastly, use the Community Maps Editor to create missing features or correct an error. Requires an ArcGIS Online Organizational Account.

Your input makes a difference! Provide feedback, create large-scale features, or share data layers and services.   Learn more >

aryaarmdn
New Contributor
Thank you for nice information
UHAMKA Journal 
Pusat Neuro Sains UHAMKA 
UHAMKA 
0 Kudos