Mass Route Editing

11-08-2021 01:00 PM
Labels (2)
CameronCole
New Contributor III

Hey All,

I am working in a 10.5.1 environment and am looking for advice on mass editing of the Centerline feature class to update the routes. 

We set up R&H to be used by all 39 counties and they could send me all edits they have for realignments and adjustments. 

Is there a way to mass update the centerline? I have honestly just thought to just retire all of the old geometry and then load the new geometry but then I ran into an issue where all the corresponding events were retired as well. 

Any thoughts or best practices is appreciated. 

4 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

We don’t do any lrs edits in mass at 10.5 as our routeid schema doesn’t really support that and have done very few event editing in mass. 

If your routeids stay the same, you could export the events beforehand and use append events to reload the events. You do run the risk of downstream events not updating measures correctly on realigns and adjustments.

Be interested in what @AmitHazra or @CliveReece might have in their bag of tricks that might help.

CameronCole
New Contributor III

Here is what we thought about doing in total:

1. retire entire route with retire date of current day

2. load new route (same routeid) into the env

3. update statement in SQL to isolate the events that were retired and just turn the fromdate back to Null

This will allow the temporal idea of R&H to work but yes I can retire and load in mass. 

Looking at the cartographic and re-alignment it is all very manual with editing vertices and what not. I want to make a process that allows all 39 counties to send me data to update and have it not be my full time job. A sort of copy paste with a little QA.  

I just feel like there has to be a programmatic way through the system to do what I am thinking. Of course I know I am limited in the 10.5 env but we will be upgrading as soon as our third party partner does. 

RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

With #3 your method or the append events they are sorta the same and have the same issue, a way to apply event behaviors after those edits. I am assuming you have event data downstream of a realign that you want to keep the same x,y and have the measures update. If you want the measure to stay but the x,y change not an issue. 

CameronCole
New Contributor III

Well that is why I was thinking to retire the entire route and not have to worry about downstream issues.

The business rule is that the county sends me a whole new route even if only part was re-aligned. Therefore, any M values or calibration would be set off the entire new route so if the events move X and Y I am ok with it since its there M values setting it not my setting a rule or making any decisions for them. 

0 Kudos