Average of Polgons

Jump to solution
11-04-2016 08:06 AM
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

I have been asked to find the Average area of 5 different wetland areas thru a 10 year period.

How would I do this. I have Arc Advanced license, and no idea how to figure this out.

Also the client wants and area that is 80% of the "merged" area. I have merged the 5 shapes, but how do I figure out 80% of this new polygon??

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as for the buffer by area and since you have greatly generalized the boundaries,

• calculate the area of the generalized shape
  • do a negative buffer by a small amount
  • recalculate the area of the result
  • recalculate and repeat

I am sure there is an iterative buffer by area on GeoNet somewhere, the ones on the scripts site are more for point data

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

So just to confirm, the goal is a polygon that represents 80% of the merged area?  Were there any other parameters concerning how/where the 80% can be?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

this is what the client asked for..

We require an ‘average’ outline of the wetland, but more towards recent years. Perhaps make a union of all polygons and keep 80% overlap and toss out the outlier(s). Smooth out the polygon.

This is all the information I have besides the 5 polygon shapes I have

0 Kudos
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

these are the selected  polygons, 

and this is the Merge of them

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tina,

To find the average area you can use the Summary Statistics tool on the merged output.  This will provide a table output.  Another way is to open the attribute table of the merged output > right-click on the Shape.Area field > Statistics.

As for the 80% area, I'm not quite sure how to go about that.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as for the buffer by area and since you have greatly generalized the boundaries,

• calculate the area of the generalized shape
  • do a negative buffer by a small amount
  • recalculate the area of the result
  • recalculate and repeat

I am sure there is an iterative buffer by area on GeoNet somewhere, the ones on the scripts site are more for point data

TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I will try your suggestion..

Have a Great Friday

0 Kudos