calculate water supply area with fragmented network data

05-13-2015 08:17 AM
TjarkBornemann
New Contributor

Hello everybody,

I have following problem: My task is to analyse the water supply in a given area. I have:

1. A point shape of water storages, including their capacity

2. A point shape of customers

3. A polygon shape of supply areas, in which the customers are.

3. A line shape of major supply lines (although this is very roughly drawn. It does not show connections to customers, and not even always to the storages. It does give you an idea though where the main pipes are, more or less)

4. A Raster with elevation data

So far i converted the raster to a polygon and made a spatial join to both storages and customers, as i thought having the elevation of each might serve my task later. I would like to have something like a 'buffer' around each storage, showing the areas which are supplied. This buffer should either have the extension of:

a) all Customers that can be reached, or

b) the customers that can be supplied until the capacity of the storage is reached (i am in favor of this one).

Now the problem is obviously that the network data is so bad. I could maybe see which supply areas are covered by the supply lines coming from a storage, but counting all customers in one of the supply areas  as 'supplied' would be wrong, because some customers are higher up than the actual storage, and supply is exclusively achieved through gravity. That applies of course also to the supply lines then, because if a customer is actually lower than the the storage, but the supply line is crossing a higher elevation, that would mean that certainly the customer does not get any water from that particular storage, since no gravity flow can be achieved.

My question now is: Is there any possibility to calculate that above mentioned buffers, reaching as far as the total demand of included customers equals the storage's capacity, but only including customers which are close to a supply line AND lower than the storage?

I am really not a Gis pro, but would network analyst be able to do so?, i am not familiar with it, but i looked a bit into it and it appears to me that in network analyst the network elements must be very well defined. Anyways i would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies