Delineating a watershed with consideration of drainage system

03-14-2016 02:55 PM
CharlieDuncan
New Contributor II

I'm trying to delineate a watershed in an area where many open regional drainage ditches exist. The problem I'm running into is that the DEM from USGS doesn't account for culverts so when a roadway crosses over one of these ditches, it shows up as a break when I run the Flow Accumulation tool. The result is areas that should be part of a watershed not getting included.

The (possibly) good news is that I have a shapefile of the major, county maintained ditches. Even they have breaks where major roads cross over them, but that can be easily edited. Is it possible and/or correct to incorporate these into the flow accumulation raster? My thought was to convert the flowacc raster to a vector, merge the drainage system shapefile to it, and then convert it back to a raster. One potential issue I foresee is that the system shapefile doesn't exactly align with the flowacc raster. Perhaps there is a better or more correct way. I hope there's some guidance out there.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The culverts have to be cut across the roads by burning them in to the dem to provide a transfer point.  I haven't seen an automated method that covers all situations, so the effort involved for you to provide the necessary corrections to the terrain really depends on how many you have in the area.  The problem can be somewhat simplified by identifying areas that the only possible connection to the surround terrain is via a culvert.

I would go back to the DEM, burn the crossing points there, then carry on.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

To add to  Dan Patterson suggestion, do the burning in on the DEM and then rerun your Flow Accumulation.

Here's some info on burning in:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwjqufTv98HLAhXBUyYKHfyXAsA...

http://www.faqoverflow.com/gis/18595.html

Chris Donohue, GISP

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

burn, fill, flow direction, flow accumulation

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

^^^^^ Go with what Curtis said.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos