Geocoding service using polygon

11-29-2017 04:38 PM
HelenZhou
Occasional Contributor II

I am working on an address locator using parcel polygon as the reference table using general-single field style. I would
like to be able to reverse geocode using coordinates to find out which parcel the point falls in. Using an address locator created with default locator style, if a point is in one parcel polygon but close to the border, the reverse geocoded address may be the address of the neighbor parcel polygon because the point is closer to the neighbor polygon. Following this https://community.esri.com/message/430771. I comment out the convert section so the polygon will not convert to a centroid points.  The address locator works well in ArcMap for both geocoding and reverse geocoding. When I publish the locator in ArcGIS server (10.5), my geocoding service doesn't work with the ArcGIS online search widget. I think it may because the output X Y are zero since there are no centroid points are converted. Does anybody have this issue before? How is it solved? Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarryWilliams
New Contributor III

I agree with you.  It shouldn't return a result if the coordinate isn't within the polygon. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you get the same behavior if you make the same changes to <mapping_schema name="Gazetteer" in the same General.lot.xml file as SingleField and create a geocode service from a locator based on the Gazetteer style? There was a memory leak with the Single Field style as a service at 10.5, so that's why I'm suggesting you use the Gazetteer style.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shana - Does that memory leak occur in 10.5.1 also? If so will Esri be patching it for 10.5.1?  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The memory leak does indeed occur in 10.5.1.  Hoping for a patch that would be sooner than my org upgrading enterprise GIS environment again.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin:

At this time there is only a workaround of using the General - Gazetteer locator style when building the locator and publishing it as a geocode service. The Gazetteer style does not have the memory leak when used as a service with suggestions. It also has the logic to handle spelling sensitivity.

Whatever field was used to map to the Keyfield in the Single Field style, map it to the Place Name field in the Gazetteer style.

-Shana

0 Kudos