Is there a quicjk and easy way to calculate all the euclidian distances between all of the points in a layer and their snapped points when snapped to a network?

10-06-2016 03:45 AM
GavinRudge
New Contributor

I have a set of sample points.  I am measuring various things associated with them with reference to a network dataset so naturally my points are snapped to it to capture these data.  However as part of may anaysis I am also interested in treating the snapping distance as a kind of error (way too boring to explain why)  that I would like to quantify and use as a variable.  I'm interested in knowing if I can do this with existing tools. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This thread shows the results of a euclidean distance calculation from a series of points

Understanding Euclidean distance analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Now, what do you want to do with that?  Sample/extract the values for another set of points? then that is the extract to points tool

Extract Values to Points—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If none of this makes sense, then perhaps you can produce an image showing what you want

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If I understand correctly, you've got one set of original points (with an ID) and a different set of snapped points (with a matching ID). You can get the distance between the two for each point by adding XY coordinates to each feature class, join together using the ID, and do the math in the new column to get the distance.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Also a Near analysis table can give you the distance and bearing to the matched point auto magically.

Then just filter the table for when the ID is the same both sides.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Grief.... go with Darren's suggestion.... that's what happens when you have been working with rasters for the last 12 hours... one track mind