Offer (by points) and demand (by shapes) matching on GIS

06-13-2016 08:01 AM
GiulioCerino_Abdin
New Contributor

I have one point layer with related data (energy production - offer), I had another layer with different shapes (neighboorhoods with own energy demand), is there a tool/function to select the area covered by each powerplant on the basis of the proximity?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Spatial Join is probably your best option. It will determine the overlap and write the attributes of your point file to the neighborhood output file.

Also check out the Near and Generate Near Table tools:

Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Near—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Generate Near Table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

GiulioCerino_Abdin
New Contributor

But with "join" it will not be evaluated the coverage of my energy demand with the offer of the power plants. Or not?

I have one shapefile with 3 power plants, point with energy value, located in the city (many shapes, one for each neighborhood with own energy demand)

I need to evaluate which power plant will serve each neighborhood on the basis of the proximity between each point and the shapes.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

See the illustration below. This will give your shapes the attributes of your power plants.

GiulioCerino_Abdin
New Contributor

Nope,

I try but this create a shape with the data of each area containing the nearest plant.

I need to do a different analysis.

I try to explain:

I have 2 plants with energy production data:

plant A: 50 MWh

plant B: 21 MWh

the data are located in point shapefile.

I have "n" districts each with own energy needs:

district 1: 3 MWh

district 2: 25 MWh

district n: x MWh

I need, on the basis of nearest area to identify which area is served by which plant, considering also that Plant A could produce only 50 MWh and Plant B 21 MWh. So it's possible that not all the districs will be covered by the production or also that the production is higher than the district demand.

If I try with spatial join the calculation considers only the distance, but not the production of the plants and the request of the districts.

Thank you.

giulio

0 Kudos