2000 Census Tiger File Conversion

3 weeks ago
NoahTerpening
New Contributor

Hello I am a beginner student in learning about ArcGis Pro and I need 2000 Census Data for the state of Louisiana.  There seems to be no shape files and it seems like I will have to convert it from a Tiger File to a Shape file.  If anyone has any Idea what I could do.  It would be a major help.  

Thanks, Noah 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

I haven't converted tiger files in forever, but I can tell you a good strategy for getting 2000 Census Data for the State of Louisiana. Go to the ArcGIS Living Atlas of the world and search for 2000 Census Data. A number of layers will come up. I got Population Change, for example; it has State, County, Tract, and Block Group geometry. Once you have your geometry, you can join it to the census data you need (the layer I got has several 2000 fields). You can also use the Enrich tool to get other 2000 census data fields including these: 

LaurenGriffin_0-1713474563699.png

The Enrich tool does use credits, but they are very affordable (especially compared to the time it takes to find, clean, and join the data from other sources). Also, a trial version of the software comes with some free credits. I hope this helps!

Best wishes!

0 Kudos