Calculating area ratio of two polygon layers

Jump to solution
02-05-2013 12:17 PM
StefanSchneider
New Contributor
Hello,

I have two polygon layers with polygons. Both layers share many borders, but not all. I would like to know how many polygons of layer A have a substantial part of their area in more than one polygon of layer B. Maybe it's possible to have the area of each polygon from layer A that lies in the biggest underlying polygon of layer B written to the attribute table of layer A? My license is ArcView only.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Pedol,

I hope I'm understanding everything correctly.  If so, perhaps the Union tool could be used to get what you need.

Hope this helps!
Chris B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Pedol,

I hope I'm understanding everything correctly.  If so, perhaps the Union tool could be used to get what you need.

Hope this helps!
Chris B.
0 Kudos
StefanSchneider
New Contributor
Thank you very much, Chris. I used Union and then calculated the area ratios with the Field Calculator. First calculate geometry of layer A, then Union, then calculate geometry of the new polygons, then calculate the ratio of the two numbers. I was hoping for something more elegant that leaves me with the old polygon sizes and their area ratios written to the attribute table. This Union way is a bit less elegant, but it also works.
0 Kudos