Data schema and Version of Park and Recreation Finder

05-15-2014 08:23 AM
YichiLiu1
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I am new to ArcGIS for Local Government and we are trying to implement Park and Recreation Finder. I have some basic questions to ask.

1. I found the help document of ArcGIS for Local Government 10.1, but I didn't see a place to download the apps. I was wondering if the 10.1 version is still available. Currently, we are using ArcGIS 10.1 for Server, if Park and Recreation Finder is no longer working with 10.1, I would consider upgrading my ArcGIS first.

2. Do I have to have the exact same schema as Local Government Information Model�??s? And same data structure (e.g. field name, data type, etc.) for every feature class as well?

Thank you very much!

Yichi
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all,
I am new to ArcGIS for Local Government and we are trying to implement Park and Recreation Finder. I have some basic questions to ask.

Welcome! This forum has some great information but getting anyone to discuss the schema seems to be the one thing I can't get (at least not on MY threads!).

2. Do I have to have the exact same schema as Local Government Information Model�??s? And same data structure (e.g. field name, data type, etc.) for every feature class as well? - Yichi

Yichi,

I would love to declaratively state that YES or NO you do or do not have to have the exact same schema. But alas, I can't get anyone to give me a straight answer. What I will tell you is what I BELIEVE to be the correct answer, and I'll hope that someone that knows will take a moment and correct me if I'm wrong or agree with me if I'm right.

I posted the following: CLICK FOR LINK

That sums up my thoughts on the schema. I will wait and see if anyone corrects me or not, but that is the direction I am heading. I've been holding off on development while waiting for this answer on different posts on and off for quite awhile to no avail. So I'm moving forward with the assumption that the details from my other post are correct.

Have a great day and don't get discouraged if you don't get a single other answer on this post. This forum does not SEEM to like to respond to schema questions like this.

Peace, Love and Mapping
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Yichi,

Even though you're on 10.1, use the 10.2 version of Park and Recreation Finder. The 10.1 version has been retired because it used a routing service that was retired earlier this year.
For more information see the related blog post
The 10.2 version of this ap and the associated help can be found here

The 'do you need the data model' question is difficult to answer because it really depends on how closely your current data scheme matches that of the LGIM. In theory, no, you don't NEED to use the LGIM, but you'll need to do some more extreme configuration that would otherwise be unnecessary. Open up the config.js file for the app and take a look at the fields that are used, then open up the map documents that are included in the download and look at the properties of those fields.

If you can supply the app with equivalent fields, there's no NEED to use the LGIM, but you'll need to make sure that config.js uses your field names rather than the LGIM field names. If you can't give the app those fields you will likely run into difficulties.

-Allison
0 Kudos
YichiLiu1
New Contributor III
Thanks to both of you. That was very helpful!
0 Kudos