Document Management System for Community Development

07-28-2023 01:51 PM
Labels (1)
townofmountainvillage
New Contributor II

Hi GIS people!

I work for a small municipality in Colorado and was wondering if anyone could give suggestions for a document management system that integrates GIS? We have a very clunky application process in place for our planning, permitting, design review, inspection, etc. requests which has left us with outdated and multi-step software solutions. In an ideal world, any application submitted through a portal could be automatically tied to our parcel database in ArcGIS with workflows in place to streamline the process. We would also love to be able to upload, view, and edit documents (i.e., pdfs / word / xcel) within the GIS software and have everything tied back to (once again) the parcel database. 

The dream would be for us to select a parcel from a map, and view all the associated permits, licensing, ordinances, etc. with said parcel - past or present. Everything should be tied together.

We are looking into OpenGov, VertiGIS, and Cityworks for possible solutions, but we are open to hearing anyone elses suggestions! If anyone is currently using something like I described above please let me know!

3 Replies
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

You could look up CityView. I haven't used it myself. But I might be able to connect you with the team at our municipality who are implementing it here. Feel free to send me a private message.

0 Kudos
Gareth_Evans
New Contributor II

I'm biased, as I work for the company, but check out VertiGIS FM's Land Parcel module: VertiGIS FM Parcels - VertiGIS

To my knowledge this is the only document and asset management system that ties directly to ArcGIS. Any other that I've seen (CityWorks, etc) implement their own mapping solutions that are inferior to what Esri offers with ArcGIS. 

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Suggest looking at Microsoft SharePoint as well. Looks like most of the documents are Microsoft Office files and  SharePoint provides rich web interface for viewing, search and editing. SharePoint also has a robust API framework for integration with GIS and other systems. Many organizations already have SharePoint as part of their Microsoft subscription.  

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos