How to remove a Boundary Point from existing parcel?

Jump to solution
05-08-2013 10:21 AM
Labels (1)
JamiePetersen
Occasional Contributor II
Scenario: I have two adjacent rectangular parcels (imagine folding a piece of paper in half) in my parcel fabric.  They share one common boundary line. Currently, both parcels have 5 boundary points  - each parcel has it's four corner points (two of which are shared) and the 5th is a boundary point mid-way along on their shared boundary.  How do I delete this point?  I essentially want to modify the shared edge as to keep topology, but the fith point shouldn't be there.  How do I reshape that edge to be one line instead of two?

MSSQL Enterprise GDB
10.1 SP1
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisCorwin
My work flow, for what you are trying to accomplish, would be to unjoin the parcel, Right click on the unjoined parcel, choose Construction. This will open it up in the Construction environment. Select the two lines, delete them and then digitize (aka click on the two corner points no longer connected). Then construct the parcel and re join it to the fabric. Rename it and delete the old unjoined parcel. My experience tells me that using the construction environment has less bugs when "reshaping" a parcel.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi

There are actually two boundary lines for a common boundary in the parcel fabric - one line for each parcel. Common boundary lines are never represented as a single boundary line in the parcel fabric. To get rid of a boundary point, you do have to open each parcel, delete the two boundaries split by the point you want to get rid of and re-create the boundary as a single line without the point. The reason you do it this way so that the COGO dimensions on the boundaries do not fall out of sync with the geometry of the lines. Any change in line geometry should be reflected in the COGO dimensions of the lines.

Hope this helps

Christine
0 Kudos
JamiePetersen
Thanks for your response.  That was the path I was on, but got stuck.  I open each parcel individually, open the Parcel Details, and click the Lines tab.  I can interactively add new lines, but I am unable remove existing segements, "Delete Rows", as it is grayed out.  I guess I'm struggling to reshape or delete existing line segments.
Of note, I don't have survey measurements for most of these parcels with errors so I can't just enter the correct values.
0 Kudos
ChrisCorwin
My work flow, for what you are trying to accomplish, would be to unjoin the parcel, Right click on the unjoined parcel, choose Construction. This will open it up in the Construction environment. Select the two lines, delete them and then digitize (aka click on the two corner points no longer connected). Then construct the parcel and re join it to the fabric. Rename it and delete the old unjoined parcel. My experience tells me that using the construction environment has less bugs when "reshaping" a parcel.
0 Kudos
ChrisWomack
New Contributor III
We have this happen a lot with our parcels. At 10.1 you can use the Merge Courses command. Select the 2 parcels, right click and choose "Merge Courses". this opens a dialog box that allows you to set parameters for the merge. The default settings usually work. this combines the 2 lines and adjusts the length. You can then change the dimension if needed. This does create a historic parcel for any parcel it changes so you may want to go back and get rid of them.
I have also used a Add in tool called Merge Selected Courses. with this tool you open each parcel, select the lines to be joined on the lines grid in the Parcel Details box and click the tool. Adjust the dimension as needed and Keep Changes.
hope this helps.
0 Kudos