Indicate large overlaps / gaps in legals

06-06-2013 07:06 AM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

Is there a good way to indicate gaps and overshoots in the parcel fabric?  I have a couple parcels that are so far off that the county will need to perform additional research to get a more accurate legal description.  In the mean time they want the area flagged as an error in the parcel fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25064[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisCorwin
Occasional Contributor II
Not sure on Gaps... But overlaps are easy. Export your fabric into a feature class and use topology to find the overlaps.
0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
You can run a topology directly on the parcel fabric feature classes as well, without the need to export them to feature classes. But to fix the errors, you do need open up the parcels or rejoin them.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Creating_a_new_topology_with_a_parcel_fabric/0085000...
0 Kudos
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

Thank you for your responses, I realize I may need to re-clarify the question.  I do not need to search for any existing gaps or overlaps.  Instead, I have an area where the legal descriptions between neighboring parcels are so different that the boundary lines are not coincident.  What I need to do is mark the area as a location that will require additional research to find the correct parcel boundary.  I was just wondering if there is a standard method of doing this within the parcel fabric.  For example, maybe I could create an "error" parcel type.

Thank You
0 Kudos
ChrisCorwin
Occasional Contributor II
I think you are right, if you wanted to model this in the fabric, you would want to create a new parcel class. But I think this is something that would be best not kept in the fabric. Personally, if I were to track this, I would use a separate feature class. We have a couple areas like this around a river. We just leave them as is, and let the lawyers and the engineers fight over who is right.
0 Kudos
JAKERODEL
New Contributor
We have a separate simple point feature class outside of the fabric but edited along with the fabric that flags discrepancies.  We add all relevant data to the points attributes then create a data driven pages projects that uses those points and the data to create a report for each point in pdf format.  We then add those points to our web apps so users can display discrepancy points and click on them and see the report.
0 Kudos
BettyConces
New Contributor III
Hi!
I do not know if this will help or even work (and maybe anyone else out there can comment on this too); we are considering using the Type9 - Encumbrance type to create/mark/keep track of our gaps and overlaps. We will add a 'COMMENT' field to our parcel fabric to make notes or references to source docs or other pertinent information.

~bc
0 Kudos