LGIM Minor Road Classifications

07-31-2013 09:58 AM
TraeCooper
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm working to migrate our street centerlines into the LGIM, and trying to match up our road classifications with those in the LGIM roadclass domain.  I'm good down to Local, but was wondering if there is a description anywhere for some of the minor classes like Service, Recreation and Resource.

Thanks

Trae
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
The Service, Recreation and Resource classes were added to support several uses in federal and rural lands.  They can be used to type features used to reach remote areas (aka. fire roads); two and four wheel recreation roads (aka. 2 tracks); or on roads used to reach resources being extracted from lands. 

Scott
0 Kudos
CharlineAvey1
New Contributor II
I'm wondering how to assign the Tiger codes to the LGIM.
Also in order to support NextGen911 its(LGIM) going to need Alley's, and Private Driveways which the Tiger code does.

This is what I have so far.
Tigercode TigerDescription LocGcode LocGname
A11 Primary highway with limited access or interstate highway, unseparated Freeway Freeway
A13 Primary highway with limited access or interstate highway, unseparated, underpassing Freeway Freeway
A15 Primary highway with limited access or interstate highway, separated Freeway Freeway
A17 Primary highway with limited access or interstate highway, separated, underpassing Freeway Freeway
A21 Primary road with limited access, US highways, unseparated Highway Highway
A25 Primary road with limited access, US highways, separated Highway Highway
A27 Primary road with limited access, US highways, separated, underpassing Highway Highway
A31 Secondary and connecting road, state highways, unseparated Major Arterial Major Arterial
A33 Secondary and connecting road, state highways, unseparated, underpassing Major Arterial Major Arterial
A35 Secondary and connecting road, state highways, separated Major Arterial Major Arterial
A41 Local, neighborhood, and rural road, city street, unseparated Local Local
A42 unseparated, in tunnel Other Other
A43 unseparated, underpassing Other Other
A44 unseparated, with rail line in center Other Other
A45 separated Other Other
A47 separated, underpassing Other Other
A48 separated, with rail line in center Other Other
A51 Vehicular trail, road passable only by 4WD vehicle, unseparated 4WD 4WD
A60 Special road feature, minor category not determined Other Other
A63 Access ramp, the portion of a road that forms a cloverleaf or limited-access interchange Ramp Ramp
A64 Service drive, the road or portion of a road that provides access to businesses, facilities, and rest areas along a limited-access highway; this frontage road may intersect other roads and be named Service Service
A65 Ferry Crossing, the representation of a route over water that connects roads on opposite shores; used by ships carrying automobiles or people Ferry Ferry
A70 Other thoroughfare, minor category undetermined Other Other
A71 Other thoroughfare, minor category undetermined Other Other
A73 Alley, road for service vehicles, usually unnamed, located at the rear of buildings and property Alley Alley
A74 Driveway or service road, usually privately owned and unnamed, used as access to residences, trailer parks, and apartment complexes, or as access to logging areas, oil rigs, ranches, farms, and park lands Driveway Driveway

Our Indiana DOT is moving to the Roads & Transportation Model but I don't see a domain for road classification.

Thanks
Charline Avey
(317) 407-3621
JohnFell
Occasional Contributor III

Charline,

You may have already identified this change but the RoadCenterline feature class at ArcGIS 10.2 no longer uses the FCC attribute original implemented by the Census in it's Tiger data products. They have migrated to the MTFCC which can be found in the RoadCenterline featureclass. I found a translation table (others may also be available) from FCC to the new MTFCC. You may want to review these links:

RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I am wondering if I can implement a coordinated pair of Functional Classification fields using Attribute Assistant.  For example, I need to use the seven functional classifications defined by Caltrans to complete reports to the state and to qualify for certain types of maintenance funding.  These classes are reported by class number, so this would be a new field and domain that I would add to the LGIM.

However, I would like the generalized Caltrans classification to coordinate with a more detailed classification field that could make distinctions within the Caltrans classifications.  For example, I would classify ramps as part of the freeways using the Caltrans code, since they are maintained by the state, but I would like a more detailed related classification that distinguishes ramps from mainline freeway centerlines.  Other subcategories of the Caltrans classifications may apply elsewhere on my centerlines.  Taken together these two fields should only be valid for the limited range of value pairings that make sense and my data should not permit invalid value pairings.

Would this be a case where I would export the more detailed classification domain as a table and create a second field that showed the corresponding more generalized Caltrans classification?  Could I then set up Attribute Assistant to synchronize these two fields on the actual centerlines by only editing the more detailed classification?  Or would I be required to only have the detailed classification on the centerlines and have to use a Join in order to export a table of roadway segments that included a field showing the Caltrans classifications?

0 Kudos