LGM : Contacts Table (Relationship)

12-23-2015 06:33 AM
Labels (1)
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

So... I'm developing more and more GDB's and Feature Classes outside of LGM, and plenty of population of LGM features, that require contact information per each item. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this question so I'm hoping someone else has figured out the best approach to this.

My thoughts are... where would you add your Contacts table?

Do you create an LGM Table... create contacts there... create relationship with relevant features?

- If so, would you mind sharing your workflow?

Do you create a table in an outside GDB... create contacts there... reference them from necessary features (LGM and NON-LGM)?

- If so, could you explain how you connect these pieces together? And how does this affect public-facing webmaps that need this information?

I'm curious about the following aspects of best practices for doing this:

1. Relationships
    How do you connect the necessary features to this table? Standard relationship table? Something special? What about for when the contact table and related feature classes are in separate databases? What about for webmaps?
  2. Privacy
    How do you offer some contacts as available for reference in public webmaps and some contacts only available to internal customers (i.e., Employees)?
  3. Contacts
    Do you have a feature class with a dot on the map for their mailing address? Physical location? etc? Are contacts just a standard non-spatial table? Do you have related tables to cover all attributes that your organization considers important for each contract? What about historical information (can you see previous e-mails or phone numbers or just current ones)?

I'm trying to incorporate more and more into the LGM but I also recognize that not everything fits. So I'm looking for best practices, or even any practices, being utilized by others in this industry (or municipal governments would be cool).

0 Kudos
0 Replies