Old Survey Declination adjustment PLEASE HELP ME!!

07-15-2013 09:37 AM
JasonFink
New Contributor
I am building an internal GIS for a relatively small land company (around 50,000 Acres +/-) from the ground up.  I have access to old  maps that display meets and bounds.  I have been using COGO to draw my parcels, but since most of the surveys were done in the    late 1800s to early 1900s, I have no referenced point to start from ( most call for tree stumps or wooden stakes).  Some of the maps  have the magnetic declination on them and others dont.  for the ones that show the declination, would I just plug the traverse into COGO and go or do I need to do something to account the the difference in declination?  What should I do and how should I do it?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisCorwin
Occasional Contributor II
What I would do, is to ignore all the magnetic declinations, since some have it and some do not. Then at least you are on the same level. Not sure where you are located but the 10 or so degree of declination is not going to cause a big issue with accuracy over 50,000 acres. The best thing to do, would be to GPS the landmarks and then use those to create more accurate and current bearings and distances.
0 Kudos