Parcel Fabric Errors

08-08-2013 11:42 AM
Labels (1)
LeahNolan
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I know that creating parcel fabrics is not a very popular function for ArcMap but this forum is the only one to respond to my other question about parcel fabrics so I'm giving it a shot! So I am working on cleaning up my topology for the rule 'Must Not Intersect or Touch Interior' and I can get most of the errors to delete but there are still many that I can not get to delete. An error pops ups saying that I can't delete the rule. So I mark it as an exception and carry on. The problem comes though when I go to create my parcel fabric and whole polygons won't translate over because of these errors that won't delete. Does anyone know how I can get these errors to go away so that I can create a whole parcel fabric? Thank you in advance!!

Here is an image of the error:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26599[/ATTACH]

Leah
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BettyConces
New Contributor III
Hi Leah~
I just went thru a bunch of topology errors and fixes. I found I could right click and let the topology tool fix the error. Have you tried that? I had pretty good results doing it that way and only had very few I needed to mess with manually (a last resort!)

I hope that helps....at least a little 🙂

~betty
0 Kudos
ChrisCorwin
Occasional Contributor II
Leah,

I can tell you a work around that the fabric gurus at ESRI will tell you not to do. We did it and it has been fine.
Simply do multiple imports. What we did was take all the parcels that were violating the rules and exported them into new and different shapefiles so all the rules were complied to. Then we imported each shapefile (going through the whole process). In the end, you do get a fabric that will have "errors" in it but it functions just fine. And then you can fix those errors in the fabric. It is more work, but it is an option. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
LeahNolan
New Contributor
Leah,

I can tell you a work around that the fabric gurus at ESRI will tell you not to do. We did it and it has been fine.
Simply do multiple imports. What we did was take all the parcels that were violating the rules and exported them into new and different shapefiles so all the rules were complied to. Then we imported each shapefile (going through the whole process). In the end, you do get a fabric that will have "errors" in it but it functions just fine. And then you can fix those errors in the fabric. It is more work, but it is an option. Good Luck.

Chris,

I am sorry to take so long to respond, I was out of the office for a while. I have heard of people doing what you told me to try but I am a little confused on what you mean. So if when you mean export all the errors, do you mean export the entire shapefile and then redo the topology? I want to clarify this before I go deleting my current topology and all the work I have done with it. Thank you and I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

Leah
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II
Whoa!!!

First, you never want to export data from a gdb to a shapefile and then re-import it back into a feature class. Doing this could compromise the topological integrity of the data. If you need to copy & paste (import/export) data from a gdb then you should keep it in a gdb for as long as possible. There are things like precision and tolerance that behave differently in a feature class vs a shapefile.

Second, are you using the specified topology rules for migrating to the fabric? The "must not intersect..." is referring to places where parcel lines are not broken at their intersections. There are 2 ways to handle these: use Planarize on the parcel lines or shift+select in the Error Inspector, Right-click, choose "split." If the errors persist after this, then it is possible that you get the error due to a self-overlapping line. I know this error pops-up on an basic overlapping line even though it wants you to subtract a line.

You may have come across mention of "marking errors as exceptions" which can be loaded into the fabric, but you only want to use this when they are legitimate. It's hard for me to think of any examples b/c they've done such a nice job with the model but then every organization is different.

Furthermore, it will be a headache to clean up these errors (sliver poly's, holes, etc) in the fabric after the fact. The concept of the fabric is that the parcels are highly dependent on the COGO so you will want your data to improve as you move forward--not move forward and then go back fudge some things to close, and then finally add COGO as you progress.

Can you possibly provide some more info on the number and type of topology errors you're getting? Once you've edited the data using a topology and saved them, the changes are made to the data. So deleting it will not affect your data, but you will need it for fabric migration.
0 Kudos