Parcel fabric to ArcGIS Server Application

12-22-2011 05:35 AM
RobertMueller
New Contributor
We are in the process of jumping head first into the parcel data model in the parcel fabric, although still have two outstanding questions regarding the process;

1. It seems to me that the migration into the parcel fabric can be done either through the; using the Load A Topology To A Parcel Fabric geoprocessing tool or the Import Fabric Data wizard. I have roughly 10,000 parcels into migrate, and 0.01% have accompanying saved cogo. Since overlaps and gaps exist between coincident parcels, it would seem the only real way to import these into the fabric is using the first method, but then I must run topology. The purpose of the current database is maintain the actual legal description. Is there no way to import these historic parcels and maintain information on the survey lines?

2. The second question is regarding publishing; how are folks integrating the parcel fabric into ArcGIS Server applications?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bob
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertMueller
New Contributor
In addition, another question here -  what is the current workflow process to "move/copy" information from the parcel fabric (i.e. an encumbrance) to the Encumbrance feature class?
0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

We recommend using the Geoprocessing tool known as the topo loader for thedata migration and the following workflow:

Since your data seem to have the correct legal COGO dimensions start byadding the cogo fields to your line feature class (if not already exist) anduse the COGO toolbar (under the editor toolbar) to calculate the COGOdimensions for all lines. I would verify the COGO dimensions are correct whencompared to the geometry (see helpful migration tools)

The second step will be to fix the topology. This can be done by severalmethods, one of which is to  increase the topology's spatial tolerance inorder to get rid of small slivers and gaps. Another approach could be to cleanthe lines geometry and then re-create the polygons (such tool exists in thelink above).

More information about migrationg to the parcel fabric can be found in this white paper (a new December 2011version will be soon published).

Any of the parcel types can be exported to simple feature classes. If thisis something that needs to happen on regular basis automatically (i.e. fromtransactional to publication environment every night), this can be performed byusing windows scheduled task and similar python code:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Import arcpy module
import arcpy

# Local variables:
Tax_Parcels = "Tax Parcels\\Tax Parcels"
Default_gdb = "C:\\Documents and Settings\\survey1\\MyDocuments\\ArcGIS\\Default.gdb"

# Process: Feature Class to Feature Class
arcpy.FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion(Tax_Parcels, Default_gdb,"tax", "\"Type\" = 7", "Name\"Name\" true true true 50 Text 0 0,First,#,C:\\Data\\Amir\\DemoData_inProgress\\LandRecordsWithDemo.gdb\\ParcelEditing\\ParcelFabric_Parcels,Name,-1,-1","")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for ArcGIS Server, the fabric classes can be published using ArcGISServer though we recommend using simple feature classes as usually only theparcel class (polygon) is needed as well as some level of integration (CAMA)and preparation. It is not possible to edit the fabric using ArcGIS Server incurrent release.

Amir
0 Kudos