Parcel Management and the LGIM

05-19-2014 01:19 PM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
I work for Local City Government and we get our Counties Parcel Data in Shapefile format. After reviewing the LGIM I believe we are going to try to shift gears and begin to build our GIS foundation on top of it but only if we can figure out how to get our current data sources INTO the LGIM.

I've read the 'Getting started with ArcGIS for Local Government' and I still have more questions than answers. I have our Counties parcel data (currently) in SDE and also in the Shapefiles we get directly from them. We have generated the LGIM from the XML in our SDE as well. Step 4 of the 'Getting started with ArcGIS for Local Government' states (quite simplistically) to "Load your data into the Local Government geodatabase" without discussing field names, aliases, etc. I realise that Step 3 says to "configure the model to meet your specific needs" but it doesn't give an example.

Am I correct in assuming the following hypothetical situation?

LGIM has fields A, B, C, and D.
MyData has fields W, X, Y, and Z.
When we compare the two datasets we find that A = X, B = Y and C = Z.
When we compare the two datasets we find that LGIM has D but we don't have an equivalent.
When we compare the two datasets we find that MyData has W but the LGIM doesn't have an equivalent.
So... in our Model Builder we set up a Truncate and Append.
We truncate out the live data in SDE.
We append our Shapefile from the County INTO the (now truncated) SDE.

In our Append we:
1) match A > X, B > Y, C > Z
2) we leave D blank because we don't have one (but we DON'T remove it from LGIM)
3) we CREATE a field for W in the LGIM

If this is correct then I'll be starting the process as soon as I get this verified.
If this is incorrect... where can I go for more assistance?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Brian,

You are on the right track. The LGIM is a data model designed to allow organizations to easily leverage our suite of maps and apps. As well as providing the fields required by the many maps and apps we've built on top of the LGIM (I'll come back to this later), we've included fields for the related data we thought most of our users would need, expecting that some modifications would be required on an organization-by-organization basis. ModelBuilder is a great tool to help with this.

As correctly detailed in your hypothetical situations:

- Your organization may have data to fill all of these fields, or it may not.
[INDENT]This is expected and OK. You are correct when you state that it is better to leave these empty fields in the LGIM.[/INDENT]

- Your organization's data may fit entirely within the structure of the LGIM, or you may have additional data you'd like to include.
[INDENT]This is also expected and OK. If you have a good business case for including this additional data, add the fields to the information model. If you think that this is information that other organizations would also like to have included, post it on ideas.arcgis.com. We are constantly evolving the data model to accommodate new applications, but also in response to user feedback on its structure.[/INDENT]

The one additional recommendation that I have is to drive your migration using the maps and apps that will be leveraged by your organization. The path we recommend to get started is to identify one or several of our maps and apps and begin your data migration as part of implementing these applications rather than undertaking the data migration to the full LGIM as a single massive project all on it's own. Once those apps are ready to go, find others that would benefit your organization, and repeat 🙂

-Allison
0 Kudos