Political Affiliation Data?

Jump to solution
09-21-2012 01:02 PM
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
Does anyone know where to get political affiliation data by county or census tract for the whole USA?  I'm working on some research of a particular interest in which the hypothesis is that it does not matter what political party you align yourself with, you will mostly feel a certain way when faced with certain local factors.  I would appreciate any help that people could point me towards.  I'm new to the research field.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
9 Replies
RobertPincus
New Contributor III
Try the Registrar of Voters for the counties you are interested in.

Robert.
0 Kudos
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
Thanks Robert.  Unfortunately this is a study of about 3,000 locations.  So going to individual counties isn't an option with my time limits.  But this would be a good idea for one of my other smaller regional studies.  If you know of any full nation dataset by county, let me know.  Many Thanks, Jessie
0 Kudos
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
I found 2008 data by county with some more searching.....just thought I'd post in case others had trouble.  I hope the data stays up on this page....I'm sure it will expire soon though since its a GIS class page.
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog863/l5_p8.html
0 Kudos
MiguelPerla
New Contributor
Not sure if you would still be looking for this data but i have two very good sources- one is free for California data--- http://statewidedatabase.org/index.html  and the other is kinda free- you can get this data for free until a point- then they charge- haven't personally bought any data from them though a number of colleagues who are involved in electoral campaigns do so. check these out. Hope it helps, MP
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Curious that this is posted in the Search and Rescue forum; I'm glad when I broke my leg in a back country ski accident that my political affiliation didn't come into play for my rescue!
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
No idea how this got into Search and Rescue.  Does anyone know if you can switch sub-forum groupings without losing all the threads?  If not, I'm going to add that into the ArcGIS Ideas as a future addition.
0 Kudos
DonFerguson
New Contributor III
The relevance to SAR is jurisdiction.  At the responder level it may be obvious as to who has jurisdiction within a defined search area.  However, when developing briefing material or reporting out details of the incident the responsible authorities and agencies what to know what happened within their jurisdiction.  So having spatial layers that represent political and authoritative boundaries is important in developing briefing materials and in making administrative decisions.  From the Responders perspective it could also be useful in knowing who to ask for funding.  If a organization can show they had a number of incidents within a particular jurisdiction that could have some weight when you want to request funding for training or equipment.

My two cents...
Don Ferguson
0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm moving this thread out of "Search and Rescue" and at least temporarily into the "Local Government" forum, in order to get it some exposure with folks who might deal a lot with local, state, national political data.
0 Kudos