Polygon layer and Condos

05-07-2010 01:42 PM
Labels (1)
KarlDeHart
New Contributor
What ways have you dealt with condos in a polygon parcel layer...?  The county maintains a polygon layer and would like to only display one polygon for the parcel containing the condos.  We have created an external table that we relate to but were wondering about any unique ways to deal with the layer.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
karl -

Take a look at the patterns we provided on the Land Records Resource Center.  The address is:  http://resources.esri.com/landrecords.    If you download the Tax Parcel Editing or Tax Parcel Viewer Template and take a look at the geodatabase design, you'll notice a few key design decisions.  First we've tried to optimize the editing environment by providing a related table for the condo units.   Then we have a separate tax parcel publishing feature class that contains redundant geometry for each of the condo units and a single piece of geometry for the typical tax parcels.  When we create that tax parcel publishing feature class, we also join attributes from the assessment and tax systems so they can be used for public access and value analysis applications.

One other note, take a look at the land records blog too - there are several posts about data loading that go in to more detail on this GDB design and specifically the condo issue.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to talk through this some more - my email address is - soppmann@esri.com
0 Kudos
DavidDenham
Occasional Contributor
We have the same issue with our tax records and condos.  We have a "CONDO" field in our parcel feature class and condos are given a value of "1".  The notification application we developed searches query results and checks for an condo properties.  If any condos are found the application will then include any records that have the same subdivision number as the condos.
0 Kudos
CarlosIsaac_Cabrera
Occasional Contributor II
You could just treat condos as another parcel type and that will solve your issue.  Then you won't have to have a special field.  You'll just have to create a definition query for the type to be included or excluded.
0 Kudos
DavidDenham
Occasional Contributor
I made a mistake in my original post.  The condo field is in our tax roll table.  Then we relate the table to our parcel data.  This way whenever our applications finds a 1 in the condo field it then adds every record that is in the same subdivision as the condo record.
0 Kudos