Recording of parcel Lineage

07-27-2011 07:00 AM
Labels (1)
TerryRichards
Esri Contributor
I am busy testing the parcel fabic and there are a few aspects of it that I am specifically interested in, one of them being the recording of lineage between parent and child parcels. From what I have read, this is stored in the PARCELFABRIC_HISTORY table in an SDE database. Now, for my testing I have set up a personal SDE database in SQL server express ... but I am not seeing any information being recorded in this table when I create new parcels by merging or splitting existing parcels. So, I guess my question is, is there any special/specific procedure that needs to be follows to ensure that the lineage is recorded in the PARCELFABRIC_HISTORY table?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
I am busy testing the parcel fabic and there are a few aspects of it that I am specifically interested in, one of them being the recording of lineage between parent and child parcels. From what I have read, this is stored in the PARCELFABRIC_HISTORY table in an SDE database. Now, for my testing I have set up a personal SDE database in SQL server express ... but I am not seeing any information being recorded in this table when I create new parcels by merging or splitting existing parcels. So, I guess my question is, is there any special/specific procedure that needs to be follows to ensure that the lineage is recorded in the PARCELFABRIC_HISTORY table?

The parcel history, or parcel lineage is recorded in a few places in the Parcel Fabric.  If you take a look at the Parcel table, you'll notice 5 fields. 

Historical
SystemStartDate
SystemEndDate
LegalStartDate
LegalEndDate

These first 3 in the list are system maintained, the last two (legal dates) are user-specified fields.  We recommend that you use the legal dates when tracking real "parcel-lineage" since they should house the recorded date of the land reconfiguration.

Please also take a look at the lines table, since is also has all the date fields.  This table is also update automatically when you retire and create parcels.  This will help you display these parcels/lines on particular dates with the use of layers and definition queries.

If you right click the Parcel Fabric in ArcMap, you can use the property page to control the definition query on these particular layers.

The History table is currently not used by the Fabric editing tools, it is there so that developers can write to the table for other customizations.
0 Kudos