Road Centerlines construction

03-10-2014 06:59 AM
Labels (1)
JeanneBaker
New Contributor
I am in the process of migrating existing street centerlines to LG Road Centerlines and am at the point of cleaning up existing lines using Road Centerline topology.  Here is my question: Must centerlines be constructed from straight line segments only?  Or can they be comprised of straight line segments and arcs? I've looked at the Naperville example and it's curves all seem to be short line segments?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You are best off with segments.  The curved lines, aka splines, can cause issues depending on how you are going to use them.  Generally in a network they appear as a network build error.

I am in the process of migrating existing street centerlines to LG Road Centerlines and am at the point of cleaning up existing lines using Road Centerline topology.  Here is my question: Must centerlines be constructed from straight line segments only?  Or can they be comprised of straight line segments and arcs? I've looked at the Naperville example and it's curves all seem to be short line segments?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Oh, the reason being is that the Arc's don't have vertices such as you would get with a polyline and the network build cannot get a fix on their location without those vertices.

You are best off with segments.  The curved lines, aka splines, can cause issues depending on how you are going to use them.  Generally in a network they appear as a network build error.
0 Kudos