Shifting Data Sets all the same

Jump to solution
01-23-2017 09:07 AM
Labels (3)
GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

Hey all,

We had control points (surveyed monuments) from a survey done a while ago and we have just re-done a survey of our counties monuments. Is there an easy way to shift all of our data at once or in pieces to new set locations.

The points we have re-surveyed are section corners and quarter corners. I was maybe thinking we could shift everything per section. I am hoping more people have noticed there are changes over time to monument locations besides changes in spatial reference and datum's.

Thanks, any thoughts are helpful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

About spatial adjustment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop This whole section is for that purpose, similar to georeferencing images

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

About spatial adjustment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop This whole section is for that purpose, similar to georeferencing images

GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

Hey Dan,

I think affine transformation is the method I am going to try first. However, would my process look like transforming each feature class separately or could I do all of them at once?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

n affine would be the choice, and if I remember you have to do them one at a time but I suspect that if you be able to apply the same transformation to all since they are referenced together in the old system.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If all the feature classes reside in the same Feature Dataset, they can be done en masse.  (coincidentally, I'm actually doing this exact process at this very moment).

Go into Editing Mode, then on the Spatial Adjustment Toolbar click on the word Spatial Adjustment, then click Set Adjust Data...

Then change the radio button to "All features in these layers" and put a check in the boxes on the layers you want to Adjust.

Then proceed with the rest of the spatial adjustment process.

Chris Donohue, GISP

GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

Chris,

I was even able to shift everything together without putting them in the same feature dataset. However, I had all of the features in the same GDB.

Thanks for all of the help!

0 Kudos
GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

Ok,

I have read the spatial adjustments outline and I am curious if there is a way to automate the linking by having the old control points and the new control points have a matching ID number.

Other wise what is the best practice to making the links? I have a lot of links so I don't want to manually do them.

cdspatial

Dan_Patterson

thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

The Links Table is just a text file, so you could develop a process that outputs your Control Points to a text format (.txt).  Then to do the alignment, use "Open Links File..." (or "Open Control Points File...") to load it.  For the format of the text file, see the image below.

Chris Donohue, GISP

GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

Chris,

I looked into using a link file. I have a txt file that has OID X Y (destination) X Y (original). I have started an edit session then tried to open the txt file to create the link and nothing happens? Am I missing something?

I checked my .txt file and it has commas in between the columns is that ok?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Commas won't work.  Instead, the links need to be space or TAB separated (see the image I posted last - they state the format in the box below "Open Links File".

Chris Donohue, GISP