Validating topology...

05-10-2011 08:53 AM
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
I have built a simple topology with the rules "Must Not Overlap" and "Must Not Have Gaps". My problem is that when I validate, the "Must Not Have Gaps" rule is treating the road ROW as a gap between parcels. Is there a way to avoid this or do I have to mark each instance as an exception? I would really, REALLY like to avoid having to do that.

Thanks
Tags (2)
9 Replies
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi

I really dont think there is any way around that unless you mark each as an exception. You could go in and trace in temporary ROW polys to avoid that error, but that also may be tedious.

Just and FYI, if you are cleaning the topology for migration into the fabric, you dont need to have the Must Not have Gaps rule in your topology for the data to migrate...

Christine
Parcel Editor team
0 Kudos
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
Thanks for your answer. If I remove the "no gaps" rule then is there a way to address legitimate gaps once in the fabric?

Thanks
0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi - yes there is but its not a quick fix.
What you would need to do is unjoin and rejoin the parcels in question to eliminate the gaps. If the gaps are really inconsistent between boundaries, you might even want to consider re-entering the parcels. It just depends on the data. I can take a look at your data once its in a fabric and provide a little more insight.

Christine

Parce editing team
0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
The other thing you could do is to run the Integrate GP tool before migration to the fabric:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Integrate/00170000002s000000/

"Integrate is used to maintain the integrity of shared feature boundaries by making features coincident if they fall within the specified x,y tolerance. Features that fall within the specified x,y tolerance are considered identical or coincident"

Hope this helps

Christine
Parcel Editing team
0 Kudos
ThomasEmery
New Contributor II
Thanks Christine, I got sidetracked with other projects but now I'm back on validating our topology. I'll look into some of your suggestions.

Tom
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
Hi - yes there is but its not a quick fix.
What you would need to do is unjoin and rejoin the parcels in question to eliminate the gaps. If the gaps are really inconsistent between boundaries, you might even want to consider re-entering the parcels. It just depends on the data. I can take a look at your data once its in a fabric and provide a little more insight.

Christine

Parce editing team

Yikes, not really an option with a large dataset.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
I have built a simple topology with the rules "Must Not Overlap" and "Must Not Have Gaps". My problem is that when I validate, the "Must Not Have Gaps" rule is treating the road ROW as a gap between parcels. Is there a way to avoid this or do I have to mark each instance as an exception? I would really, REALLY like to avoid having to do that.

Thanks

I have been working on this for 2 months. I did make ROW polygons, but the topology in the curves is impossible. Plus, once I fix an area...validate, post & reconcile the error comes back. No consistancy with it either. It really shouldn't be THIS difficult.
0 Kudos
CarlosIsaac_Cabrera
Occasional Contributor II
I have been working on this for 2 months. I did make ROW polygons, but the topology in the curves is impossible. Plus, once I fix an area...validate, post & reconcile the error comes back. No consistancy with it either. It really shouldn't be THIS difficult.

This is why they say to do it in stages.  There is no real mass import tool.  It literally took 2 weeks straight for us to import 87K parcels and we are still correcting areas as we go.  Make sure to read through topology rules and understand exactly how they work so that when you use the fixes recommend by the error correcter you know how you are affecting the lines.  There is a curve and lines tool that you need to download that will fix many of the problems you are having with the topology regarding curves.  I don't have the link handy but my co worker will post it here.
0 Kudos
MichaelAndrade
New Contributor
Here is what Isaac and I followed to help solve the issues we were having with curves. The firs link is to the resource center where you can download the Add-in tool. The second link is to ESRI White Paper "Loading Data into Fabric". This was very helpful for us to migrate data into fabric.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/arcobjects-net-api/details?entryID=3F5A0E12-1422-2418-A0DB-...

http://forums.arcgis.com/newreply.php?p=130554&noquote=1
0 Kudos