Why am I getting locking parcel has changed in default?

08-14-2012 10:15 AM
Labels (1)
RyanStovern__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I do not understand why I am getting this error when I am editing my fabric in a rejoin. It tells me to reconcile my version because it has changed in the default. The kicker here is I am editing in the default with no versions created other than the default within my SDE database.

V. 10 SP5

Thanks,

Ryan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RyanStovern__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I was able to find a work around on this and it is not a fun one to many steps to add to a workflow. I had to try editing the polygon so it would be tracked in automatic mode in the job book and after it would tell me it is locked I would have to go and change the tracking mode in options to manual. Once I did that go find the rejoin in the job book and double click that it than opened the polygon and I was able to edit it the feature. Once done editing that you then have to go save edits and stop editing and then it will ask if you want to keep your work or discard then you would click yes. This is way to many steps to keep having to do this.

Ryan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tekwen

Hi Ryan,

The scenario that we know may cause a message like this can arise under the conditions outlined below. It's hard to say if this is the same cause for what you've experienced, but please let us know if this is a persistent problem for you. We'd expect this scenario to be rare. Also, please respond if this is an unlikely cause for your particular case.

Here is the scenario:
You are connected to default, are in an edit session, and have started to make edits on a parcel. At this point there is an unexpected shut down of the computer, such as a power failure, or an application error that causes ArcMap to shut down in an unusual way.

You then connect to the default version, using a different machine.

Under these circumstances, there is information in the fabric jobs table that is holding a lock on the parcel by a machine that is not actually connected to the version. This occurs since that lock was never properly cleared out, because of the unusual shut down. (Note that the reason for it not to be cleared out is that the Jobs table is non-versioned.)

One method that you can use to determine if this is the problem is by creating a Parcel Fabric table view for the Jobs table using the GP Tool called "Make Parcel Fabric Table View":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16985[/ATTACH]

Open the Jobs table from the Table of Contents:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16986[/ATTACH]

Look through the records in the fields called "LockMachine" and "LockPID". You are looking for any non zero LockPID values, and for any machine names in the LockMachine values that are not curently editing the default version in the fabric:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16987[/ATTACH]

To fix this case, you would connect to the Default version using the "Lab001" machine (in the example shown in the graphic), start editing, and re-acquire the parcel lock, by temporarily opening the parcel and making an edit; there should be no need to save the edit back to the fabric. After the you stop editing from the Lab001 machine, the lock would be cleared for you. Again, this should be a rare case, and so we'd not expect you to need to do this frequently.

For more information about Jobs and locking see Editing the parcel fabric and versioning.

-Tim
0 Kudos
RyanStovern__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Tim,
    I have not experienced any power failures or ArcMap crashing. I have only edited the fabric from the same machine. I ran the Make Parcel Fabric Table View and all of the LockPID were zero. LockMachine had no records in any of the fields.

Thanks,

Ryan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you still experiencing the problem? Is the workaround that you mention above something that you have to do frequently, or was that a one-time workaround and it is now functioning as expected?

Some other questions:
What is your SDE platform?
Are there others in your organization editing the fabric on the default version, or is it only you?

Thanks,
-Tim
0 Kudos
RyanStovern__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Yes I am still experiencing the issue. I am not having to use the work around every time. It probably is about a 40% of my editing I have to.

Enterprise SDE on Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 R2

I am the only person connected to the fabric on this server.

Ryan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ryan, this sounds like a bug, but I have been unsuccessful in reproducing the error. Please contact tech support so that we figure it out. We may need to get a backup file of your database to restore in Redlands to replicate the problem.

From our records we�??ve had one other customer report this message while working on default. Based on information from that customer, a possible workaround is to work in a version off default. That may be easier than your current workaround. However, before creating versions, please make a backup of the database, so that we can capture the exact schema while you are having the problem.

Thanks for reporting this; I will follow up with the support analyst once you've contacted tech support.

Thanks,
Tim
0 Kudos