GeoLocation with Cells Phones for 7th graders

05-05-2017 12:51 PM
MaggieHutchins
New Contributor III

I'm presenting to 8 separate classes of 7th graders next week at the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders. We're going to use Survey 123 to collect data from their courtyard. What's the best way to explain to this age group how the phone and/or tablet collects location data? Any other recommendations on what information I should share? We have a full agenda, but I want to hit the "must knows"! Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
8 Replies
AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maggie,

How about setting up a very simple survey with two or three questions and publish that into the TAGE Org? Then have the students enter a point or two on their phones. You can have the map up on the projection device so they can see their data populating the map. If the data is interesting, it should get them engaged within two to three minutes. : )

That's just one thought I had but let's start with this and see what other folks might be able to come up with. It sounds like you have a fun day you have planned!

MaggieHutchins
New Contributor III

Thanks! I have the survey set up. I actually need help with the technical info. How does the tablet know where I am?

0 Kudos
InaAhern
New Contributor III

Hi Maggie-

A tablet may, or may not, know where you are depending on where you are and the type of tablet.   All modern cell phones are required to contain a GPS which receives signals from GPS satellites and so is able to triangulate your location as long as you are somewhere that you can get a signal.  Many tablets, and all those with cellular capability, contain the same type of GPS and can determine their location whether they have a data plan or not.  

However, if you are using an iPad that is WiFi only, which is the type available in most schools that use iPads, the ability of the tablet to determine your location depends on your being connected to the WiFi network.  (There is location information associated with the WiFi router.)  Once you go into the field and off network with these types of iPads (or other tablets that lack a GPS chip) your ability to locate depends on you "knowing where you are" and being able to "GIS-guess" your location on the map aerial image.

Ina

MaggieHutchins
New Contributor III

Thanks! This helps answer my question as well as helps with planning. Sometimes I'm not sure what they will have until I arrive. Now I can explain it to the students and my contacts at the school much better.

AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks as always for a great answer Ina. You are the best!

0 Kudos
DonnaTlachac
New Contributor III

Is TAGE  the Texas Alliance for Geographic Education : Texas State University ?   I think that I may have already answered my question by finding that link, but it took me a little bit to find searching Google, so I wanted to share the URL (and have you confirm it  .  Thanks for mentioning that acronym, as the website that I listed there seems wonderful. 

AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

Yes Donna. TAGE is one of the wonderful Nat Geo alliances. TAGE does a wonderful job with resources on their website. Thanks Maggie for all of your hard work!!

0 Kudos
MaggieHutchins
New Contributor III

We're working on adding more resources this summer and are always looking for feedback. We have some great teachers that really make this all happen!!!