T3G2017 AGO Topic: Management

04-21-2017 11:21 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MANAGEMENT ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

25 Replies
AndrewDojack
New Contributor

Dominique:

This a really good yet simple solution to this problem.  Thanks for sharing.

Andy

0 Kudos
AmyWork
New Contributor III

This is a great idea Dominique! 

0 Kudos
JamesHopper
New Contributor

I work for EAST and have about 230 schools with individual org accounts. They usually call us for support before trying ESRI but we didn't have a way to log in to their accounts. This is especially problematic when the teacher leaves and the email address the account was created with is no longer valid. We are now working with ESRI and individual teachers to add an account with an email that we control as an admin in their orgs. 

I would highly encourage you to work with your tech support at your org to make sure that you have a backup account as an admin that the tech people know about and can access. 

sylvialeggette
New Contributor

This is a great tip.  I work at the district level and am the only one to provide support to schools that have org accounts. I learned the hard way that I needed to have an admin account in each of the school's org accounts in order to provide support more efficiently.  However, I find the trade off is that they don't build their own problem-solving capacity.  They sometimes take a spoon feed me approach to learning to use and maintain their accounts.  For now I do not have a problem providing the support, however, my concern is that as we increase the teachers and students who use org accounts I may not be able to maintain this model of support.

0 Kudos
PattiWinch
New Contributor

So, my district has been struggling in how to manage Orgs.  We have about 180 schools - 26 high schools and 26 middle schools.  Our tech team doesn't have anyone with GIS experience.  I am probably the most experienced, and I'm more content oriented.  We've been worried about the schools who have already set up Orgs and only have one admin.  Teachers in our district move around a LOT.   Additionally, there has been some resistance to asking the school-based IT support person to be the second admin - they want a second teacher on the account.  As such, we've been struggling with the management piece for over a year.  

0 Kudos
BrandiLeRoy1
New Contributor II

Do I have to set other teachers as administrators in order for them to add students to the org.  I add all the freshmen as I teach them all but some other teachers might have other students in their classrooms that have not been added?  

0 Kudos
CathyCooper
New Contributor

In my Org I have 10 students named STU101 – STU110.  User names and passwords are the same. Can each student set his own password? Can I see the work of each student?  At the end of the semester can I reset each name and access to the starting point?  Can the old students get into the account again?  What is the best way to handle the access?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
BruceIngram
New Contributor

I have been slowly, one by one deleting old students and their data, its been long and tedious, I am still a year or two behind. I asked if there was a solution, I was told about a tool on Geo Jobe that would handle deleting multiple users and their content. It does this and more, would like to thank whoever gave me this tip!

0 Kudos
AndrewDojack
New Contributor

Rich:

I am pretty sure I watched this video before I mass deleted a bunch of users.

Andy

0 Kudos
MartinSchmidt3
New Contributor II

My management questions are:
      1. GeoJobe Admin tools looks useful and I think it's correct to say it's not really in my Org, it's a separate program that just acts on my Org. However, it seems to take a lot of clicks to get to the tools - is there a direct way?

2. How do I limit credit use for an account? And there's a reference to the "default organization-wide credit monitoring strategy" - is that something I set in AGO or just a "company policy"?

3. Given that ArcGIS Pro is licensed by an Org account, how will we do this for student accounts? Even downloading and installing Pro needs a licensed account, so can I install Pro on multiple computers with my Administrator account or need it be one install per each specific licensed student account? Then a student can use his/her assigned licensed account to open Pro on any computer that has Pro installed? And then the next year I just re-assign Student01, Student02, etc., to different students (with a new password) and they'll still be able to open Pro?

4. Students aren't very good about logging out - are logins in AGO dropped after a certain amount of time? If not, after a while I could have years of students still logged in to an account!