T3G2017 AGO Topic: Technical

04-21-2017 11:15 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TECHNICAL ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

19 Replies
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

I am in a similar situation. I work for the Minnesota Historical Society - so not science related, but history and social science. We have an Org account that is not a ConnectEd account. I don't know all the details, as it was set up before I arrived, but I believe it is quite affordable. I agree that Charlie would be a good person to ask about this. I'd be happy to chat about how we run the Org account, too. (Pop me an email if you want.)

NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

Shana - I'll likely shoot you an email once I get set up a bit. Thanks for replying - it's great to know there are others out there in similar situations as me!

0 Kudos
NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

Thank's so much for your input, Amy! I will reach out to Charlie about costs. 

0 Kudos
JudyTumosa
New Contributor II

Hi Natalie - I have an AGO organizational account for my watershed education program at NH Fish and Game. I train K-12 educators to work with their students to study ways to keep their watersheds healthy for fish and wildlife. I invite the teachers and students to be publishers in my account so they can post, share and analyze their water quality, fisheries and macroinvertebrate data  within and across their watersheds.

NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

Thanks, Judy! This is very helpful - I appreciate the response!

0 Kudos
BonnieBracey-Sutton1
Occasional Contributor II

I will either be working with a grant or a community serving organization. I have not set up anything yet, but will.

I am in limbo on the grant, but do have the community organization where I will be teaching in SW , Washington.

The school system is in Virginia where we are seeking a grant.

0 Kudos
GeorgeanneHribar
New Contributor III

I have registered numerous students for an org with the intention to hide their identities from the public. So I gave them a generic user name, made profiles available only to the org, and used their real names for the org page. The real names were used so that teachers could identify student work instead of having to cross reference with a user name. This works great when the work is only shared with the org.

However once the map goes public the elaborate scheme has failed! So much for anonymity.  Their user name (generic) shows up with the map, but alas when you click on it it leads to the profile and reveals the real name. ARGH.  Now in the process of going back in and editing profiles to only show the first initial of the last name.  Is there simple solution or do I chalk up my learning to experience?

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

There is a free app called AdminTools that allows you to change things in the AGOO in batches. That may be of some help. There is a paid version that has a free trial period that probably allows batch changing of names. It works by exporting as a spreadsheet, making changes and then importing the spreadsheet back in. That allows the administrator to make many changes without so much clicking. The developers are very open to suggestions if these functions do not currently exist.

Here is the link GEO Jobe Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online 

0 Kudos
DellaRobertson

Sometime in the fall of 2016, I invited students to my AGOO; however, I ran into difficulties because my students are too young to have email accounts.  I used the first option, "Add members without sending emails" and used my email.  It worked.

In October 2016, I created a group, Earth System Science 6, in my AGOO.  I created two lessons and added them to the group folder.  Students work on their map and submit back to the group, where all maps reside.

The students are able to work on their maps on the iPads and on PCs in our school computer lab. It has been working out pretty well.

I entered 4 students in the Middle School/High School Map competition, just to jump in and get feedback on my students' maps.  I have found Dr. Waverly Ray to be very helpful and encouraging.

0 Kudos
BonnieBracey-Sutton1

Thank you for such a detailed answer.

I did try to reply earlier but I got a box with a moving bar in the middle and so I am using the Email to answer.

I am learning to clean the cache.

I have written down the log ins though I saved them and can see them when I log in but adm says that they had a problem. That was very helpful to me.

Now I just have to start over but will do so with the same passion that I started with.

It has been a long tech day for me. I was at a conference at Verizon where they explained their EP3 privacy network and so on the architecture of how various sign ins work and maybe I should have just relaxed and logged in a bit later.

Thank you so much. Bonnie

Bonnie Bracey Sutton

230 G Street , SW

Washington, DC 20024

202 285 3343

0 Kudos