Fiber network management add-on for ArcGIS Pro to the Communications Data Management solution on ArcGIS Online

2 weeks ago
JuhaHaanpera
Esri Contributor

Hi,

We considering the possibility of migrating from the old CAD-based fiber network management system to the ArcGIS Communications Data Management solution and the utilization of the Fiber network management add-on in ArcGIS Pro. I have understood that to manage the fiber network it is always recommended to use a second party add-on in Pro, or as a browser application. Have I understood correctly? I am now gathering information and experiences about the lightest and most cost-effective solutions for fiber network management. Which fiber network add-on do you recommend for ArcGIS Pro and the Online-based Communications Data Management solution? 

The fiber network works locally and is not very large. Fiber network connections, management of fiber cabinets, and other workflows should be included in the solution, which is why we need a fiber network management workflow add-on either in ArcGIS Pro or browser-based.

Here are some fiber network management solutions for ArcGIS. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JuhaHaanpera, there are two ArcGIS solutions for telecom network management. Communications Data Management and Communications Utility Network Foundation. Communications Data Management leverages hosted feature layers and is used for basic asset mapping and high-level design planning. It does not leverage the utility network. Communications Utility Network Foundation leverages the utility network and supports fiber strand documentation and network tracing. This solution does not provide a splicing tool so the only way to create connectivity associations is by using the out of the box associations panel in ArcGIS Pro or the API, which is not ideal for managing many strands and splices, which is why many users leverage partner solutions. 

Here are some resources to learn more.

Videos: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/19fd6813361a4ff585b528f77843f88c#ref-n-qMOLvL

Utility Network vs Communications Utility Network Foundation: https://community.esri.com/t5/telecommunications-videos/tgi5-episode-070-utility-network-vs-utility/...

If you'd like more info on partner options, feel free to send me an email. phuls@esri.com

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications
0 Kudos