Bus Route Project

11-25-2014 10:46 AM
JakeKaufman1
New Contributor

So I've made my geodatabase, network dataset, and imported two tiger county road files into my dataset as feature classes. I then built my network dataset, and am trying to copy my cities bus route for a school project. I've ran into an issue though, when trying to solve my routes I keep getting this error message:

Warning: No route from location "Graphic Pick 2" to location "Graphic Pick 3".

Error: No solution found.

If anyone has suggestion how to fix this, it would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Somes troubleshooting ideas:

If you haven't already done it, I'd start by running topology on all the participating datasets.  Use rules to ensure that you have connectivity between all the edges.  It's been my experience with network analysis that there can often be very small gaps between the edges that throw the analysis, even though visually the lines look connected even when zoomed way in.

One rough and dirty way to check for this without doing the topology is to run a few Service Areas at several distances.  If you notice the Service Areas not covering areas with linework (edges) at the expected distances, that points towards issues.  It may be a disconnect is present, or that some of the edges have a directionality error (set one-way when they should be two-way, or set opposite the direction they should be).

Another potential issue - be aware that the Search Distance sometimes will fail to find nearby edges, even when they are within the set distance.  In this case, you may have to digitize in added linework from your existing edges to the points to ensure a connection.  Be sure to check the topology of whatever you added.

Chris Donohue, GISP

JakeKaufman1
New Contributor

Hey Chris,

My problem ending up being that when I was digitizing custom roads they were attaching to the TIGER line files I downloaded, however, I had to edit the placement of the vertices for there to be a location on the route

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

What you ran into is a common issue that comes up when doing Network Analysis - the data seems all ready to go, but in reality it takes a bit of preparation and troubleshooting to get it ready for analysis  My experience is that most Network Analysis projects are 90% data preparation and 10% actually running the analysis.

0 Kudos