Editing a Map Layer: How to Make Certain Transportation Routes 'Disappear'

08-19-2022 08:41 PM
MP305
by
New Contributor

I'm building a map showing local transportation routes.  I've been able to add the various layers to get all of the highway and rail routes, but now I want to "edit" some routes so that they do not appear on the map. Is there a practical way to do this?

How do I access the underlying "database of route segments" to edit how they appear?  My initial thought is that I would find the specific route segments to be removed, and change the 'display color' to 'clear' or 'blank', if that is possible.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

Use a definition query to filter the features from the dataset that will appear or be available in your map. Access the definition query from the layer's properties window.

JesseWickizer_0-1661174324041.png

0 Kudos
MP305
by
New Contributor

Jesse,  Thanks very much for this recommendation.  I looked into this, and unfortunately it won't work in this case.  The underlying data set for my map is large and has some incomplete fields; if I could edit the underlying content I could get the Filter process to work.

What I will need to do is take a different approach.  There is a map of Sierra Nevada mountain climbing routes (used in one of the training sessions) that looks like it would work as a "template" of sorts. I plan to add linear overlays using different line styles/colors to specific transportation routes of my choosing. 

0 Kudos