GP Tool in ModelBuilder to transfrom route events

11-28-2018 01:12 PM
deleted-user-vjF4iwSc7nK7
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm looking for some guidance on ultimately creating a GP Tool that converts Reference Post point locations along a route of one LRM (linear referencing method) to the accumulated mileage along of another LRM.

I am attempting to do this in ModelBuilder and would like the work flow to go something like the image above.

Questions:

1. How do I allow the 'Reference Post Location (Double)' to be a user defined input value for the 'Make Route Event Layer' tool?

2. Is the 'Transform Route Events' the right tool to use to convert from one LRM to another or should I be using something like 'Locate Features along routes' and revise my workflow above?

Ultimately, I would like the user to be able to define a Reference Post location (ex. 52.14) which is first measured on the 'Reference Marker Routes (Source Routes) and then convert that location to a measured location on the 'Corridor Routes (Target Routes)' LRM with an output event of that converted location.

Any advice is appreciated,

-C

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

The Transform tool correlates the same road (routes) from two differing systems by location and tolerance.  In my case I am in a urban environment and this technique has very poor results.  I had to resort to a differing technique....

In my case I normally work with our LRS system and receive data from a State LRS which is very different in structure and rules from our own:

My process is simply event map my data on our system to get the points of interest along with the route and milepost.  With that  data set, I add a field to place the other route systems designation  eg  RouteNameOther.  I populate this field from a dataset I maintain that looks up the corresponding routes (how I initially created this lookup see below).  With the other routes populated I then re-event map this to the other system the result is a data set with both References (Mileposts) from both systems.  Of course I have automated this by creating my own add-in using VB.Net  I could never get a "Model" to do this cleanly and handle the differences between two differing structures and rule sets cleanly.

Route lookup table initial creation

I initially populated this lookup table by placing points at the midpoints of our "centerline: segments (from which our LRS was developed from) and intersecting that with the other systems centerline segments to pickup the other route name for the other system for the corresponding routes.  That takes care of the minimum requirements to event map (Route and a Point).  Over the years, I have maintained this lookup table till it is very clean and is corrected for the different geometric structure and naming convention rules between the two systems.  On my first pass for cleaning  the lookup table I used the offset distance to help Identify discrepancies.  I then looked at over and under routes and overpasses to make sure that these routes were Identified correctly.   Be advise you will have to handle 1 to many relationships in translating routes systems in this manner  for example we may have route 112 from MP 0 to 15 Miles and the other system this is divided up into route 1A and parts of route 2B and visa versa from the other system to ours....  these types of scenarios I use a segment Id that I place on our system in terms of our centerline break point rules.  On the other system I also create a field if it is not there for a segment id and auto uniquely populate it... I then use the segment Id to resolve any  Many to Many relationships.  Note I have to do this because our rules and structure are vastly different.

I hope this triggers some other Ideas for you!

0 Kudos