Help: Calculate the shortest FLYING route to fly a list of coordinates

09-15-2013 11:56 PM
NilsN
by
New Contributor
Hi all
I'm new to this, and I have a problem I need to solve, and would love to get some help.

I have a spread sheet listing 800+ locations (coordinates) in Swedish Grid coordinates (EPSG:2400 RT90 2.5 gon W). I use ArcMap to plot thees on a map.

I want to find a simple way to use ArcGis to calculate the shortest FLYING (straight line) route to fly all to all this locations. I need to start on one point, and end at another point. So it's NOT a classic Traveling Salesman Problem where start and end is the same point.

It need to be straight lines �??as a bird fly�?�, passing all locations in the best order so total distance is the shortest. I would like it to calculate and present the distance between each leg. It's rather short distance between the points and I will ignore elevation data.

All route solutions I have found so fare is for finding the best route in a road systems, that don't help me 😞
I would really appreciate some help  And again, I�??m new to this so please keep it simple.

Thanks in advance
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use the Point Distance GP tool to compute straight line distances between one set of points to another.
Details here:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00080000001r000000

You can also create a synthetic network and solve the TSP using your points. That is, use the Fishnet tool to create a appropriately dense grid of lines covering your points. Then create a network on that fishnet and solve the Route with Reorder Stops to Find Optimal Route. And you can control where the route starts and ends or simply do not care for either of these.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos