Moving Order Import Profile

06-09-2011 06:41 AM
MattMcElreath
New Contributor
We are moving ArcLogistics Route to another computer and I was wondering if there was a way to export our Order Import Profile settings that we use so I dont have to re-create it on the other computer.

Matt
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Hi Matt, it sounds like you're working with the ArcLogistics Desktop application, right?  You could browse Help > ArcLogistics and report the version number so we're sure.

It's a bit tricky to move import profiles over if this is the case, they're stored in the Windows registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcLogistics\ImportDefinitions.  You can export from current computer to new computer, I could give more info if you'd like.

If you're using the newer ArcLogistics with online services this is actually quite a bit easier, there is just 1 file you can move over.
0 Kudos
MattMcElreath
New Contributor
That is correct. I am using the desktop application (version 3 I believe). I was able to export that registry key and it seems to work great.

Now, is there also a way to move the vehicles, specialties and locations over as well?

Matt
0 Kudos
JeffWickstrom
Esri Contributor
Hello Matt,

You probably have version 9.3 or 10 presuming you acquired it within the last 10 years.

An ArcLogistics project includes the myProject.xml file, myProject.mxd file, and the myProject.gdb folder (where "myProject" is the name of your project).  These are by default in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESRI\ArcLogistics\Projects" folder by default (Windows XP), but can also be created anywhere. On Vista/7 they are in the ProgramData area.

Copy the above files/folders for your project(s).  Anywhere on the new computer will work; use the default location to avoid needing to browse to open them.

Use a text editor (i.e. notepad) to edit project.xml and repair the paths in there to reflect the street data location on the new computer.

Open the project in ArcLogistics.  It should open without errors, but expect the map to be blank and not show any data.

If it does not open, try making a new project on the new computer first (browse to the mxd location, etc.).  Doing this will invoke the data licensing behind the scenes.  After doing this try opening the copied project again.

Now in ArcLogistics, make a New Project.  In the New Project window, pick the project you want to copy as a Template and check the Copy options as needed.  The Vehicles, Locations and Specialties will always be copied.  After selecting the Template, be sure to pick the Map Template (mxd) again from the MXD folder in the street data location again.

After doing this you should have a new project with the data copied, referencing street data on the local computer, and a map showing street data.

Feel free to call Support Services as well if you want somebody to walk you through this.

Jeff
0 Kudos
MattMcElreath
New Contributor
The install media for ArcLogistics says version 3 on it. I believe we started using it in 2005/2006. However, there is a document in the box that has 2001 on it so maybe we had purchased an older version?

Anyway, the reason I mention that is I could not find an ESRI folder under the Application Data folder for All Users. Does version 3 store it somewhere else?

Matt
0 Kudos
GrantRussell
New Contributor
Hi Matt,

It does sound like you are using version 3x. The structure changed quite a bit from 3x to 9.3. The "project" folders for 3x are actually MapData folders located at C:\Program Files\ESRI\ArcLogistics Route. I have also included a KB article below that would be a good reference:

HowTo:  Move ArcLogistics Route 3.0 software and service areas to a new machine

I hope this helps!

Grant
0 Kudos