NAVMAP data format

09-16-2010 07:34 AM
LarryWilliams
New Contributor III
I'm trying to add in a layer to map created for Navigator. I've created the sdc file by using the toolbox: Create Mobile Basemap tool. However, my original map does not contain any polygons and I can't guess the xml format.

Does anyone know the format or have a sample of the layer tag for a polygon?

Here is an example of a point layer

<LAYER name="RedLightCameras 1:20,000 to 1:1" visible="true">
<DATASOURCE name="RedLightCameras.sdc"/>
<MAPRENDERER>
<SCALE geometryfield="SHAPE" upper="1:20000">
<POINTRENDERER size="14" transparency="0" type="circle" filled="true" fillcolor="255,0,0" color="0,0,0"/>
</SCALE>
</MAPRENDERER>
</LAYER>
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BertYagrich
New Contributor
The Create Mobile Basemap tool is not for creating data to be used in the Navigator.  You'd need the SDC creation tools which are generally not available to the public.  That being said, it's possible to do what you're trying to accomplish but it will take some manual editing of the .navmap file as you've found.  I'm also unsure of the actual layer you're trying to add and whether it's valid or not.

I'm attaching the .navmap formatting document which may help.
0 Kudos
LarryWilliams
New Contributor III
Thanks Bert I got it to work.

The sdc file appears to work fine.
0 Kudos
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Good, I figured you'd get it to work.  While it's not something we typically support or recommend, adding a display only sdc layer typically isn't too hard.
0 Kudos
JamesMuriithi
New Contributor
Hi,
I am having a problem I would like to test out the navigator but i do not .navmap file to load onto teh device, however I do have data for my region how do I convert these to .navmap file?

Appreciate your help

James
0 Kudos
LarryWilliams
New Contributor III
There are two sources for Navmap data. ESRI provides a number of canned map formats that tend to be anywhere from 6months to 2 years old and different for the parts of the world you want. The canned data has issues with accuracy (due to age) and how it may identify exits from one road to another. The cost can also be prohibitive ($600 for a 5 license copy) if you want to put the maps on a lot of PC.

If you need to use your own data, or want an unlimited usage copy, then you'll have to contact a service provider that can convert your data to the proper format. Your data will have to be in WGS1984 format using lat/longs. You should use the same map file for both the desktop Route software and the Navigator software. Costs would be in the $5,000-$10,000 range for the initial creation with regular updates in the $1-2,000 range. You'll have to negotiate that with the service provider.

The only service provider I know of is from Australia. This makes for interesting communication issues if you're not in the same time zone.

Michael Stokes
Navigate Pty Ltd
Ph: (61-2) 9436 3820
Mobile: 0412 168 940
email: mstokes@navigate.com.au

ESRI does have a set of tools for creating this type of file format but they don't provide it to general users (see the second post from Bert above). ArcGIS 9.3 (not in 10.0) provides a way to create additional files to be used within the map using the "Create Mobile Basemap" toolbox tool and by editing the ".navmap" file in wordpad (see the formatting document above).
0 Kudos
JayLaseman
New Contributor
So if I understand what everyone is sayying, it is possible to use an SDC map in a mobile app.
We have a laptop app that is used in areas and instances where communications are down.
The app is used country wide so my sdc maps are about 1Gb which has not been a problem.
I think precached tiles would be larger than that.
I have been using SDC maps for the last 5 years with this app.
I have 2 bin files and a mapschema for the writeable layers which loads fine.
I can't figure out how to load the readonly basemap (navmap)

What I can't figure out is how to convert the code from 9.3 to 10.0

OLD CODE

sdclayer = new SdcMapLayer(@mobileService1.CacheStoragePath + "\\StormDamage BaseMap.navmap");
                // Open MapCache bin file
                //mobileService1.Open(CacheOpenMode.Open);
                // load sdc map
                map1.MapLayers.Add(sdclayer);

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
JayLaseman
New Contributor
So if I understand what everyone is sayying, it is possible to use an SDC map in a mobile app.
We have a laptop app that is used in areas and instances where communications are down.
The app is used country wide so my sdc maps are about 1Gb which has not been a problem.
I think precached tiles would be larger than that.
I have been using SDC maps for the last 5 years with this app.
I have 2 bin files and a mapschema for the writeable layers which loads fine.
I can't figure out how to load the readonly basemap (navmap)

What I can't figure out is how to convert the code from 9.3 to 10.0

OLD CODE

sdclayer = new SdcMapLayer(@mobileService1.CacheStoragePath + "\\StormDamage BaseMap.navmap");
                // Open MapCache bin file
                //mobileService1.Open(CacheOpenMode.Open);
                // load sdc map
                map1.MapLayers.Add(sdclayer);

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Hi Jay, I think you'd have a better chance getting an answer in the ArcGIS Mobile forum

I'd move it myself but I don't have permissions.
0 Kudos
Hubo
by
New Contributor II
Why did you link this forum site for that the admin is not allow you do that...
0 Kudos