points creation on polynes determined by intersections and minimal interval distance

08-20-2012 07:17 AM
LisaRuf
New Contributor
Hi everybody,

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a hand to solve my problem. I have to determine the best location of stations along a national road network taking into account intersections (as best location) and maximal distance between my stations.

In brief, what I need to do is create points features on my roads network (polylines), at intersections, every XX km.

Ideally, and if possible, I would like to build a model that allows me to determine the points (stations) automatically (as it is at a national scale and that the parameters are likely to change).

Q: Is it possible to create a model that determines the number of stations necessary and their location on a road network using criterias such as distance (interval?) and intersection (as best location)?
Would this model create the points automatically?

I hope this is clear enough. I am new to ArcGIS so please let me know this thread requires some clarifications and apologies in advance if the answer is really obvious!

Many thanks,
Lisa

P.S: So far I have envisaged to do this by:
1. Creating point for my intersections using the intersect tool on my polylines layer (auto intersecting my polylines) and
2. Then creating buffer.
-> the limitations of this technique is that points are created at all the polylines' intersections (and not only the actual roads intersection) and that it anyway still requires to select all stations manually.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LisaRuf
New Contributor
So, after further research it seems that an existing tool could be useful in my case: the location-allocation tool in the extension network analyst (see for example the following thread http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=140&f=325&t=276853&mc=8).

However, I am not sure if I would be able to only use the road network to conduct my analysis.

Would I be able to do so? Or would I be able to "intersect" my location-allocation analysis with my road network to solve the problem?
0 Kudos
LisaRuf
New Contributor
Apologies for recalling my message again, I have found the answers the the above questions and thought it could be useful to share the answer.

A detailed description of the tool location-allocation (including a tutorial) can be found at: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/52302-Optimal-location-determination-based-on-distance-over-existin...

I am still interested to hear about any alternative technique/methode to solve my problem as I currently do not have the extension network analyst

Thanks!
Lisa
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Hi Lisa-

I don't think this is possible without using Network Analyst. 

Nicole
0 Kudos