splitting lines at intersection for entire shapefile

07-28-2010 06:48 AM
AbrahamMooney
New Contributor
Hello,

I need to split roads (edges) at every every intersection throughout the road network shapefile.  The subsequent segments will have their original attributes (name, road-type).  This seems like a somewhat common problem but I have not found a straight-forward solution.

Thanks,
Abe
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
SteveTucker
New Contributor
Topology tool is really good for these purpose.
0 Kudos
JoyStraley
New Contributor
This inquiry is for Nguyen Hoang Nam,

Regarding your recommendation of "converting shapefile to geodatabase and then creating a coverage to mimic a topology using a must intersect rule." The task at hand for myself is to is produce a topology in order to eliminate creating multiple vertices,endpoints at the locations were our county roads intersect city boundries in order to drill down to what segment needs updating to new MSAG field specifications. We want to systematically split county roads to all 26 cities and then use those splits to drill down to what segment need updating to new MSAG field specifications.

The argument is will or will not having a sound topolpgy layer help optimize the workflow and accuracy?

To test this idea what is the work flow for your recommended process "converting shapefile to geodatabase and then creating a coverage to mimic a topology using a must intersect rule."? Or do you think your process is appropriate for our task?

Thank you for your feedback,
Joy
0 Kudos