Fill Tool Writing Intermediate Data Against Environment Settings

Jump to solution
01-08-2021 02:48 PM
Labels (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having issues running the Fill Tool in ModelBuilder on large datasets because it insists on writing intermediate data my C: drive with limited space.

I've tried changing the scratch database environment to another drive with sufficient space, but when Fill runs my C: drive slowly fills until it errors out once the drive is full. Presumably the tool it writing its own intermediate data, but not following the Model environment settings.

Other intermediate data is stored in the scratch gdb I assigned in the environment settings.

What is going on here, and how can I force this tool to write to a different location?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Fill (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

From that help topic:

This tool supports parallel processing. If your computer has multiple processors or processors with multiple cores, better performance may be achieved, particularly on larger datasets. The help topic includes details on this capability and how to configure it.

When using parallel processing, temporary data will be written to manage the data chunks being processed. The default temp folder location will be on your local C: drive. You can control the location of this folder by setting up a system environment variable named TempFolders and specifying the path to a folder to use (for example, E:\RasterCache). If you have administrator privileges on your machine, you can also use a registry key (for example, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Raster]).

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you know which part of the model is potentially writing this data? e.g. I'm guessing the C drive outputs are probably associated with a certain process within the model.  Some tools don't respect certain environment settings, and I'm also unsure if a parent GP setting may be overwriting what you've set.

Basically the more info about your model you supply and settings etc. the better people much smarter than me can potentially help you out.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Fill (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

From that help topic:

This tool supports parallel processing. If your computer has multiple processors or processors with multiple cores, better performance may be achieved, particularly on larger datasets. The help topic includes details on this capability and how to configure it.

When using parallel processing, temporary data will be written to manage the data chunks being processed. The default temp folder location will be on your local C: drive. You can control the location of this folder by setting up a system environment variable named TempFolders and specifying the path to a folder to use (for example, E:\RasterCache). If you have administrator privileges on your machine, you can also use a registry key (for example, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Raster]).

... sort of retired...