Flow accumulation raster to a line feature class with route.

12-17-2015 03:07 PM
Labels (1)
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to use a elevation raster to create a new routed stream line, but I can't believe how stuck I am.  I went through Fill, Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, and Con to get a raster the stream lines as the highest accumulations in my AOI.  Then I used Raster to Polyline and got a polyline shapefile of the streams from which I selected the one stream line I want to analyze and made a new shapefile. But when I start an edit session, select the stream line, and try the Make Route tool, I get "No accptable target available. Make Route creates M aware polylines."  Is my problem that I have a polyline not a line shapefile?  I can't find a way to convert polylines to lines.

I'm just trying to create some pairs of stream measure and elevation to give to a colleague in a spreadsheet.  I did it once with some routed lines I already had, but wanted to run it again on a stream line directly from the elevation raster.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a line file is a polyline file, perhaps the distinction being that you need a featureclass/shapefile which is segmented.

Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

or in edit mode

Separating a multipart feature (Explode)—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

or if you have an advanced license

Split Line At Vertices—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

plus other options.

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

No, it's not that. I guess I don't need the Route Editing toolbar at all.  I just need to run the Create Routes tool on my polyline feature.  Then the Shape* attribute changes from  Polyline to Polyline M and I can then add my event table. 

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Which tool exactly are you using (which toolbar is it on)? The Make Route Event Layer takes a route as input, but you only have a line. Have you tried Create Routes?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Darren may have a point, but have a look at the discussion here

How Stream to Feature works  from

Stream to Feature

since you said you used Raster to Polyline

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

Thanks, I think Stream to Feature might have helped me, because Raster to Polyline gave me a stream line going the wrong direction which I didn't notice until after I added the elevations.

0 Kudos
PaulHuffman

I've been at this so long that sometimes, no, often, I forget stuff I used to know.  And sometimes I find something in Help that makes me think, "Hey,  there's a new tool for this!" but it's an unrelated search hit, and sends me off the wrong direction.  Thanks for pulling me back on track. 

0 Kudos